Metallic Finish On Cake??

Decorating By liz24 Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 4:51am by KrissieCakes

liz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz24 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering if someone can help me. I am making a cake of the Stanley Cup for my son's birthday. How do I get the metallic finish? I am planning to cover it in fondant.
Thanks
Liz icon_smile.gif

12 replies
Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 13

I use luster dust or you can use gold or silver colors from Americolor they are really good.

I hope this can help you thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 13

Americolor thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 13

NuSilver dust mixed w/vodka (or similar). This is best sprayed on w/an airbrush.

HOWEVER!: metallic finishes are NOT edible icon_sad.gif The icing would need to be completely removed before serving.

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 13

So silver pearl dust from wilton isn't edible???

liz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz24 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 13

Thanks for the advice!

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #7 of 13

Yes I would love to know about the silver luster because i used it on a cake and ate the whole darn thing.... icon_cry.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #8 of 13

I haven't used Wilton's stuff. I know the other metallic dusts are not considered edible in the US. They may be non-toxic but the more realistic looking metallic the less it is considered edible. The heavy metals in them will *never* be eliminated from the body and over time can build up to make you very sick.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #10 of 13

Well that's interesting. I must've known that and blocked it out, about the metallics being non-edible...I'll have to remember that.

Wonder how Colette and some of the others pull off those giant cakes painted completely gold or silver. "Oh--sorry, you can't eat the icing." ??

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 3:16am
post #11 of 13

Just as an FYI: Sugarpaste.com has gold and silver that has been FDA approved as food color.

Hazel

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #12 of 13

www.sugarpaste.com has FDA approved edible lusters but i think their silver is more like pearl than silver

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 4:51am
post #13 of 13

I've used some of the lusters that aren't quite as metallic as the non-edible ones - it helps a lot if you tint your fondant the metal color first. The crown on my princess cake in my pics was made from yellow fondant, covered in edible gold dust. I've been on kind of a buying spree with cake stuff, so I don't remember where I got the dust from though!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%