Where Are The Faberge Eggs??

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm by lanibird

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have been dying to do a faberge egg. With the 3D and piping talent on CC, I was surprised to only find one in the gallery. I am not a 3D fan, but I love the detail work. I also don't want to figure out how to do it...just give me a piping bag and check back in a few hours. Well I have this blue egg in my kitchen sitting in a hollow candle holder that is giving me fits! I have no idea what I'm doing, but this will probably be my weekend project. I also may end up moving this post to the "Disaster" forum! Any comments on fabrege eggs? Oh, btw..I'm doing it in buttercream and RI.

6 replies
cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 7

i wonder if they make balloons that blow up into egg shapes... that'd be a crazy way to do it, just blow the balloon up, seal the bottom, and decorate with royal icing... let it dry and then release the air from the balloon... i think i might have to try that with a round balloon, and see if the balloon collapsing would destroy the fragile royal icing or if it would work out, i think i've seen it on tv before maybe....

ddaigle Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 7

Ok...here's the blue bomb so far hanging out waiting for its Viva massage! Getting this far has been challenging in itself since I am winging it each step of the way. Once I get this buttercream smoothed....I think I'm good to go. Decorating on the bottom part has made me change my design. Cross you fingers. [/img]
LL

ddaigle Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 7

Jen,
I actually saw a decorator on Food Network Challenge do that with the baloon. She was making some very beautiful ornaments. The RI held up good. I'm bound and determined to use cake. Note #1 of many so far...use a dense recipe. I just grabbed a box out of the pantry...not wanting to waste my good recipe on this test cake. I've been fighting with it all afternoon because it is too moist.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

Jiminy Christmas! How big is that thing? What is supporting it? I'd be going nuts trying to figure out a good design to put on it! icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 7

LOL...I used the frickin big egg pan! Looks like a blue ostrich egg! LOL....I googled faberge eggs and drew up the design I want. So that is not the issue. I'm having cake issues. I have it sitting in a 3 leg hollow thing that holds a glass container that I put a candle in. I searched the house for something and this is what I came up with. It feels very sturdy.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 7

cakesbyjen, the RI on a balloon works really well, though a bit time consuming waiting for the RI to dry. This carriage http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1165142 was done using this technique. This probably goes without saying, but just make sure you put a piece of tape on the balloon, and puncture it there, so there is a slow release of air, rather than the pop.

ddaigle, I wish I could help, I so love Faberge Eggs, and want to make one out of cake someday. I cannot wait to see what you come up with though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%