Fly With Cake? Or Mail It?

Decorating By doughdough Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm by cakesdivine

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 4

Okay so here's the deal:

I am making my cousin's wedding cake & grooms cake at the end of May. I am in Texas and the wedding is in Omaha, NE. I plan to fly there (instead of driving 12+ hours!).

I would like to get my baking done from home and take it to Omaha to finish decorating it from there. I am making 6", 9" 12", & 15" 2-layer square cakes for the 4-tiered wedding cake, and a 14" 2-layer heart tuxedo cake for the grooms cake.

So my question is this: Would it be less of a headache to fly the undecorated cakes & fondant with me, or should I ship them separately? OR are both really stupid ideas?

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice!

3 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 4

When shipping food use FEDEX whitegloves service. They have refrigerator/freezer vehicles and airplanes equipped to handle food transport. Def. ship undecorated. Pack it tightly and pack it frozen. Contact FEDEX directly for pricing. I know they will come and pick it up from you.

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 4

I wouldn't take the chance of taking it on the plane with you. If you put it in cargo you are at the mercy of the baggage people who throw everything around. You won't be able to take it on the plane with you (as far as I know). The fondant you can put in your check-in luggage.

When using FedEx or UPS, refrain from using dry ice. They charge beaucoup bucks since it is a hazardous material! If you freeze the cake and send it next day air, it will be fine. Make sure to mark the box as fragile and to keep the top side up. Otherwise they'll throw it all over the place. I deal with FedEx and UPS and other freight companies every day and I've seen the way they treat their packages. It's scary!!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 4

That is why I suggested the White Gloves service. It is specifically designed for this type of shipping. Yes it's a bit pricy but well worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%