Dark Color Frosting

Decorating By dolphincake Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm by dolphincake

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 22

I need some inputs here. Every time I try to work with a dark color frosting, when I put it in the bag to pipe it on the cake at first it's fine but then (within minutes) it starts separating color and what seems to be fat so it starts looking kinda like a marble color instead of a solid color.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

21 replies
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 22

what's your icing recipe and what kind of coloring are you using?

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 22

I'm using a Butter cream frosting recipe.

1c butter
1c shortening
1lb confectioners sugar
1tsp vanilla
1tbsp milk
½ tsp salt
a pinch of meringue powder

and for coloring I use the AmeriColo (soft gel paste food color)

This recipe says to mix well in a mixer for an hour.

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 22

You're using about twice as much fat as I do (I use about 1-1/3 cup to 2 lbs of sugar), but you're using hardly any liquid compared to mine (I use 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk plus about a Tbsp of vanilla.

Are you beating the fat until it's absolutley pulverized? no fat particles whatsoever? That would be my initial suggestion ... if the fat isn't beat into fine particles so that it blends completely with the sugar, that may be why you're having a separation.

I'm looking forward to other ideas on this topic ...

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 22

I add the butter and shortening with the sugar and then the vanilla, milk, salt and meringue, then mix for an hour. How do I make sure all the shortening is pulverized? Should I add an extra lb of sugar?

Thank you so much for your help!

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 22

Here's my recipe: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html Folks on here who have used it tend to like it ok.

I put everything except the sugar in the mixing bowl, then I add about a cup of sugar, just enough to "bind" everything together. Run the mixer until it looks like silk ... until you can't see one particle of fat in that bowl. If I see pieces of fat, I keep mixing. Then add the rest of the sugar and mix it. I dont' think you can overbeat this. I sometimes turn on the mixer and then go out back for a smoke break.

cakedout Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 22

Wow- that recipe has a 2-1 ratio of fat to sugar....that alot!! I'd cut back to a 1-1 ratio: 1 cup butter/shortening (or 1/2 cup each) to 1 lb sugar.

Beat for an HOUR!!!??? icon_eek.gif You gotta be kidding me!! NEVER heard of mixing icing that long! 10 minutes, more-or-less is all I do. I cream the shortening and butter together a bit, scrape, then add sugar and stir slowly while adding liquid. scrape again, then let 'er go for 10 minutes.

jamiekwebb Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #8 of 22

Here is the recipe that I use and I have never had any problems with it.
1 stick butter
4 oz. cream cheese
2 c. shortening
2 lbs. powder sugar

mix the butter and cream cheese well. Add the color then. Then add the shortening and powder sugar half at a time. Just make sure there are no lumps.

www.cakeplace.wordpress.com

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks Thanks Thanks! That must be why all the fat is separating, cause there is obviously too much of it. I know! an hour is like way too long. I will try to adjust it and also try the recipe posted. Thank you!

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Here's my recipe: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html Folks on here who have used it tend to like it ok.

I put everything except the sugar in the mixing bowl, then I add about a cup of sugar, just enough to "bind" everything together. Run the mixer until it looks like silk ... until you can't see one particle of fat in that bowl. If I see pieces of fat, I keep mixing. Then add the rest of the sugar and mix it. I dont' think you can overbeat this. I sometimes turn on the mixer and then go out back for a smoke break.

I was going to try it but I don't have the powdered whipped topping mix and I can't go to the store right now.

I know the recipe I posted crust very well and I need that finish on the cake.

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 22

Oh wow, I missed the part about beating for an hour! holy beater bar, batman, that is nuts!!

Even tho' I make a career out of making icing .... you shouldn't have to make a CAREER out of beating icing!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cocobean Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 22

dolphincake, is that a typo about mixing the bc for an hour??? icon_confused.gif If you are seriously mixing it for an hour I'd say that is your problem. Sounds like it is mixed sooo long the fat separates from everything. Thats my guess. I'd mix for 15-20 max! Also my recipe calls for 2lb. pd. sugar to that much butter and shortening and a little more milk. One more thing, I would only add salt if you are using unsalted butter. Good luck.
Oh...
Have you ever tried hi ratio shortening? That could make a difference when adding a lot of color. Whimsical Bake House uses very intense colors and their house recipe uses hi ratio shortening. They do say you can use regular shortening if you don't have it BUT the bc never holds its shape for me if I use regular shortening in that recipe. They don't use a lot of pd. sugar either.

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 22

Yeah that's what the recipe calls for unless it was a typo on their end.
I agree about not making a career out of whipping butter cream icon_lol.gif

I use the regular Crisco.

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:48pm
post #14 of 22
scoutmamma Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 22

Indydebi's recipe is the best, hands down... but if we use it does that mean we have to start smoking??? icon_razz.gif

Thanks again for all your help Debi

Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #16 of 22

Indydebi's the best for me!!! thumbs_up.gif

dolphincake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #17 of 22

Is there a way to substitute the whipping powder from Debi's recipe?

dolphincake Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #18 of 22

I don't know what I'm doing wrong icon_sad.gif How frustrating. It only happens with dark colors like black, hunter green, etc... It never turns black, it stays like a marbleized gray.
I adjusted the recipe and all.

cocobean Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:32am
post #19 of 22

...Whimsical Bake House says, " Our House Buttercream, is a pure white buttercream that is ideal for mixing with COLORS, from fluorescent pink to muted green. We use high-ratio shortening, it does not affect the taste, but it does affect the buttercream's ability to accept color. If you cant't find high-ratio shortening, substitute regular vegetable shortening but use candy colors to tint your buttercream.

Maybe you could try that. thumbs_up.gif

dolphincake Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:35am
post #20 of 22

Thanks Cocobean! Where could I find candy colors?

cocobean Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:13am
post #21 of 22

dolphincake, I've only bought candy color at a local cake supply store but I'm sure you can find them on line.

Candy colors are oil based.

dolphincake Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%