Has Anyone Tried Almond Vice Vanilla In The Nfsc?

Baking By TracyLH Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm by TracyLH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 16

I am trying to please someone who is hard to please. icon_sad.gif She had cookies of mine a while ago when I used to put almond in the RI and really liked them. However, as I have so many people request 'non-almond' RI due to allergies I don't do that any longer. I don't wish to mix double batches of RI of the same color for the same themed cookie (some non, some with) or have the fear of grabbing the wrong one, and I feel for me this is the best idea. I just don't want to take that chance, even if I mark the pastry bags. However, she is set that she wants almond flavor so I said that I could do it in the dough.

As I am short on time, has anyone done the NFSC with almond? In looking at the recipe, it appears that you can use it instead of the vanilla. I was just wondering if anyone has and if you did all almond or did a combo of almond and vanilla. If so, what proportions do you recommend? I do want a definite almond flavor, but was concerned if all almond would be too much.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! She is a tad hard to please and I am spending a monumental amount of time on designing her cookies, so help with the recipe side would be really, really appreciated!

15 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 16

I always use half vanilla, half almond and they are delicious. If I'm making them for kids, I use all vanilla, but other than that, it's 1/2 and 1/2!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 16

Could you use an artificial almond flavour, rather than an actual extract?

TracyLH Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 16

Thanks, Jen! Does that have a definite "This is an almond cookie" taste or is it subtle? (She wants definite almond).

TubbsCookies - I need to keep them "all-natural", so I need to use an actual extract. I thought about almond paste, but am trying to watch the expense.

Joanne1944 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne1944 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 16

I use 2 teaspoons of vanilla plus 1 teaspoon almond, always real flavorings, never imitation.

Everyone always say how much they love the taste of my cookies, so it must be OK.

TracyLH Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks, Joanne9144! Do they have a definite almond taste? I just tried mixing two batches of dough of almond only to experiment with and am still gagging from making one batch too strong. Not sure the other will work, so I am curious if yours has a definite almond taste. Thanks for your help!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 16

I don't use that recipe per se, but I do put almond in my cookies. I do about half and half, and you can definitely taste the almond. I don't think I would do entirely almond, I think almond is too strong on it's own.

TracyLH Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 16

vstar_pilot - Thanks for telling me that the almond taste is there. I think the half and half is what I need to try. I know you are using a different recipe, but mine has 6 c. flour. Approx. how much vanilla/almond would you recommend for this amount? I am just plowing through so much butter to get this right, so if you don't mind sharing, that would be much appreciated!

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:45am
post #9 of 16

Hi Tracy!
I use the NFSC with 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp. Penzey's Pure Almond Extract. Everyone loves the taste of these cookies and you can taste the almond flavor. It isn't overpowering but gives it a nice flavor. I love Penzeys spices, which are located in some cities (luckily there is one close by in Scottsdale, AZ), or they also have a website. Hope this helps.

TracyLH Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:12pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks, Pebbles13 and to everyone else who has helped me! I am getting ready to do batch #4! icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 16

I think you can taste and smell the almond in the cookies. I don't use imitation flavorings either. Good luck! I wouldn't want to add anymore than 1t almond to them, but that's just me. There is a definite almond flavor doing 1 of each.

TracyLH Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks, Jen! I will give it a whirl! icon_biggrin.gif

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 16

Tracy, I just thought of something. I know you want to keep the cost down but if she is so set on the almond thing, what about putting some ground almonds into the batter? I'm talking about maybe 3/4 of a cup or so. Would that be too much $$$ (just charge her more). I bet the nfsc would be delicious with the addition. I think I would back down on the flour if I added the ground almonds. Just a thought!

KellJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellJ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 16

When baking with extracts you have to use "Pure" flavorings. If you use imitations it bakes the flavor out. Imitations are good to use in your frostings since there is no baking.

I use Almond in my cookies and everyone loves them.

Have you ever tired Penny's cookie recipe? It calls for the almond.

Good Luck!

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 3:55pm
post #15 of 16

I use almond extract all the time in my cookies. It is the preferred flavor with most people I know.

It tastes like a roll out version of a "Spritz" cookie.

On a side note, if you are looking for a wonderful almond cookie, there was a great recipe in the special blue Christmas Cookie issue of Taste of Home magazine this past Holiday season. They are called"Almond Butter Cookies" and were made with almond paste. They tasted just like the almond cookies you get in most Chinese Restaurants. Unfortunately, not a roll out cookie, but a fantastic "Cookie Jar" type cookie none the less!

TracyLH Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks, everyone for your help! Cookiemookie - Thanks! I will have to try to that for a non-rolled almond cookie! Sounds great!

I ended up trying 4 different versions on Saturday, iced them and let them dry. The one that passed the test was one that (believe it or not) was with 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract and no vanilla. I don't know if it is the extracts I use, but this worked best, which surprised me. The recipe is similar to the NFSC. We will see what she thinks!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%