Are Your Bridezilla's Similar To The Ones On We Tv?

Decorating By Win Updated 12 Jan 2009 , 4:18am by summernoelle

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 20

I confess. I had never heard of a Bridzilla until I came to CC. What can I say? I have been married 25 years, am a hobby cake baker, and the only wedding I've done was for a friend. So, I didn't know what some of you were referring to when you spoke of PIA clients (didn't know what the acronym meant,) or Bride/Mom Zillas. icon_redface.gif I mean, I knew you meant you were having a difficult time with your client, but I sure didn't know what that could look like! I have been trying to catch up on the episodes of Amazing Wedding Cakes on WE network, and saw some episodes of "Bridezilla's" as well... have to say my jaw dropped. Is this what you are putting up with when you speak of a Bridezilla? I have a whole new understanding now...

edited for typo

19 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:20am
post #2 of 20

I'm not sure that any of us have gotten the TV-version, but some are close!

If you want some REAL gawd-awful 'zilla stories, check out www.etiquettehell.com !

My favorite is the guest who was in a car wreck on the way to the wedding; was airlifted to the hospital; bride calls her in the hospital; tells her that was NO excuse to miss the wedding; and by the way guest still owed bride a present. icon_surprised.gif

Or the baby shower where the mom-to-be sent a note to everyone saying the baby had everything it needed but mom needed some new things, so just bring presents for mom to the shower. icon_surprised.gif

Or the bridesmaid who had to drop out of the wedding under doctor's orders or risk losing her unborn child, just so the bride and the entire family of the bride could accuse her of faking pregnancy problems JUST so she could ruin the wedding for the dear darling bride.

yeah .... you'll die when you read some of these!

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:29am
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My favorite is the guest who was in a car wreck on the way to the wedding; was airlifted to the hospital; bride calls her in the hospital; tells her that was NO excuse to miss the wedding; and by the way guest still owed bride a present. icon_surprised.gif

Or the baby shower where the mom-to-be sent a note to everyone saying the baby had everything it needed but mom needed some new things, so just bring presents for mom to the shower. icon_surprised.gif

Or the bridesmaid who had to drop out of the wedding under doctor's orders or risk losing her unborn child, just so the bride and the entire family of the bride could accuse her of faking pregnancy problems JUST so she could ruin the wedding for the dear darling bride.

yeah .... you'll die when you read some of these!

The sad thing is that I know these types of people!! ME, ME, ME. That is the only thing in the entire world.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 20

I had a consultation with a girl last year, even on the phone it was all drama, then we met... AGH! I bid the job twice what I would charge anyone else and thankfully she did not book with me. I don't have the energy for that...

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 20

I must be lucky.... I don't recall ever having a bridzilla.....

The next one probably will, just cuz I said that! I've had people that had a hard time making up their minds...

Jen icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 20

I had a Groomzilla the other week. They come in, the Bride knew what she was wanting, and this guy was suckajerk and steam rolled her until he got what he wanted. And of course, she just kept saying "Oh, OK. Oh, OK."

The worst part was: They sit down, and I ask them if they want to keep the top for an anniversary. She says yes, and he goes "Oh, I didn't think we were going to be married that long". Dead pan voice. She turned crimson and tried to avoid the awkwardness.

Jerk. Thank goodness I'm not doing that wedding.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I had a Groomzilla the other week. They come in, the Bride knew what she was wanting, and this guy was suckajerk and steam rolled her until he got what he wanted. And of course, she just kept saying "Oh, OK. Oh, OK."

The worst part was: They sit down, and I ask them if they want to keep the top for an anniversary. She says yes, and he goes "Oh, I didn't think we were going to be married that long". Dead pan voice. She turned crimson and tried to avoid the awkwardness.
Jerk. Thank goodness I'm not doing that wedding.

what's the world coming to, planning divorces before weddings?? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

summernoelle Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 20

Oh, he said that. Maybe we can eat it to celebrate the divorce.

Jerk.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 20

There are some of those crazies like mentioned above. And then, there are the more common types that just can't make up their mind. And they get annoying because they want this and that and then don't want this, but want this but tweaked like this....on and on. I can't blame them. I haven't had the personal need to design a wedding cake for myself, but dang! There are millions of possibilities, and I can't imagine finding one design and sticking it with it for good through the whole wedding planning process. Everyday I see some new design or idea on this website alone that instantly I would want for my cake. I can't imagine if I were planning my own cake...holy moly. I would be a PITA to a cake decorator.

indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 20

For those who absolutely can't decide on ANYTHING, I tell them, "Oh goody! That means I get to do whatever I want and you don't get to complain about it!" (insert big cheesy grin here!). That usually kicks 'em into gear.

Normally, I just reassure then that they don't have to decide on a design right now ... they actually have plenty of time to decide. I try to destress them and make it easy on them. That relaxes 'em and if I do a quote with "final design to be determined no later than xx-xx-2009", then that's what goes out (ah, the advantage of having a flat-price pricing structure!)

eldag0615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eldag0615 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 20

OMG! icon_surprised.gif What a jerk, that bride should have just ordered a small cake to celebrate the cancellation of the wedding. How can you go into a marriage with those expectations? And I always thought those bridezillas on tv were waaaaaaay exagerating because they were paid to do that and have their 15 minutes of fame on tv. icon_lol.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 20

I've had a few that could be on that show.

One bride trying to change her design the week of the wedding. Oh being told no... it ruined her wedding day.

Another who 9 months earlier loved her flavors deciding two days before the wedding she suddenly hated them and threatening to sue me for ruining her day since I refused to rebake (the cake as already frosted and on the early stages of decorating.).

A bride who in a dim reception hall walked up with a swatch of fabric and broke down because the flowers were not a solid match and had varying shades of her signature color in it. She demanded a full refund and refused to let it be served. The groom walked in took a look and told her to get overself it was his card it was put on and he loved it and she could cry over it tomorrow but today she would love it or wear it at the first slice.

A bride who actually brought a level with her to be sure the cake was straight and not leaning at all because she heard on the internet about leaning cakes falling before the reception.

A bride who when we arrived was waiting outside for us saw another wedding cake coming out of the back of the van and exploded because it was nothing like we agreed on. I mean full blown screaming and all. We tried to talk to her with only a "no you don't get to talk. This is my time, my day and you have ruined it." Then up rolled the second cart for her cake and out came hers. I nicely looked at her and said "we are doing 3 cakes here today and to save all of you delivery fees we put them in the van instead of three cars, here's your delivery charge refund. It's on us today." She never apologized. She just spun around and walked back into the hotel with out another word.

I have more but it scares me to remember them. icon_lol.gif

After 20 years in the business I think I've seen almost everything both good and bridezilla.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 20

OMGosh y'all are scaring me!!! I have never had a really pissy bride. One took her red hair a little to serious but nothing horrible. Her mother was a doll and said "*****takes her red hair too seriously and can be a bit much". LOL

Lots of my brides I don't hear from (mom brings back equipment generally) but the ones I do hear from are always sweet. I would probably not do wedding cakes if I got tons of flack from my brides.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:16am
post #14 of 20

I had a new experience this week. I had a bride call who had already booked her cake. She was very nice and polite to talk to when she ordered the cake.

She called to say that she had made it onto "Bridezilla" and was it okay with me!!! I asked her some questions, "Are you going to have to create drama and act nasty for the show?" and she said, "Yes." "Do you get something for doing the show?" "A trip." She was most excited to have her and her wedding on TV.

I told her I didn't care, as long as she was the one who looked bad, not me!! icon_biggrin.gif She laughed and said, "OH no, I love you Miss Ilene."

I then asked if she would come in earlier so we coud talk and we would stage and plan some drama.."Sure!"

I will let you know how it all turns out.

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:31am
post #15 of 20

I think you are crazy to do that! No way would I agree to it-a reality show will only put you on there to make a fool out of you and your business....I would think about it.

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:35am
post #16 of 20

Oh if anyone can handle it, Classic can!! PLease let me know when it's on so my daughter can record it for me (I can't get the WE channel since they moved it on my cable system icon_cry.gif ). She sounds like a pretty cool and fun bride, though, if she's willing to come in and work up a staged set up with you! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #17 of 20

Its not a reality show if its staged is it....?

What do I know.... icon_lol.gif

So far I've lucked out and gotten great brides...but I have not gotten as many weddings as I'd like yet.

I did email one recently who it took 2-3 emails to explain to her what cake flavors, cake fillings, and icings were. Wow. That was different. ("So does the cake flavor show on the outside?")

indydebi Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I did email one recently who it took 2-3 emails to explain to her what cake flavors, cake fillings, and icings were. Wow. That was different. ("So does the cake flavor show on the outside?")

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had to actually go get a cake mix box and show one a picture of "filling ..... icing ....."

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:14am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I had to actually go get a cake mix box and show one a picture of "filling ..... icing ....."

Really! Oh good, its not just me who attracts them, then. haha. I actually had to use a description too (cake box would have been a good idea!)....after regular emails were not doing the trick I patiently described how when you are at a bakery, the sticker says "chocolate cake with strawberry filling" but the cake still looks white, because there's icing on the outside.

That did the trick. *Phew*

Do some people really never eat cake until their wedding?

summernoelle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:18am
post #20 of 20

I think sometimes they just don't understand the terms and what they mean. I have to tell people over and over that yes, you do get frosting between the layers of your cake when you have a fondant cake. icon_smile.gif I don't mind it, they just don't understand. Although, those types of questions can be funny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%