Sugarshack Bc...

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 6:45am by sugarshack

lkoenig07 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 30

I'm going to try using SugarShack's BC instead of the Wilton BC. I've been afraid to try something new b/c I've been using the Wilton stuff for awhile & I know how to work with it, but everyone seems to rave about SugarShack's. Anyways, just wondering if there is a recipe that is 1/2 of SugarShack's BC because it seems like a lot to make at once.

29 replies
sarahokie Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 30

I made it once just using 1/2 of the ingredients listed and it turned out fine. I used a smaller bowl and my hand mixer keeping the beaters completely covered and it was just fine.

rockytop Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 30

I USE THE (BEST BUTTERCREAM EVER )IT IS FOUND ON THIS SITE. IT IS HALF OF SUGAR SHACK. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

amyfj1 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 30

SugarShack's buttercream is the only buttercream I use. It is awesome. Great taste, quick to crust, and keeps forever. Please, please try this recipe and I know you'll never use another buttercream recipe again.

newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 30

This might sound like a dumb question, but is the creamer used in SugarShack's recipe the powdered creamer?

rockytop Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 30

The Sugar Shacks recipe does call for powered coffee creamer icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytop

The Sugar Shacks recipe does call for powered coffee creamer icon_biggrin.gif

I kind of thought that - since it said to mix with water - but just wanted to be sure. I'm anxious to try it since it gets such great reviews.

Thanks!

amyfj1 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 30

I have used different flavors of the coffee creamer with great success. I love the hazelnut, amaretto, and the pumpkin spice creamer. All taste great on white, yellow, spice, or carrot cake. Don't be afraid to use the creamer. Usually I just use the French Vanilla flavor and everyone loves my icing.

lkoenig07 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 30

K, thanks all...

One more question. SugarShack's BC recipe doesn't tell you how much creamer & how much flavoring to put in. So how much of each do all of you who use her recipe use??

vanillafairy Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 30

watch this video

she explains it all

majormichel Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfj1

I have used different flavors of the coffee creamer with great success. I love the hazelnut, amaretto, and the pumpkin spice creamer. All taste great on white, yellow, spice, or carrot cake. Don't be afraid to use the creamer. Usually I just use the French Vanilla flavor and everyone loves my icing.

Do you still use wedding bouquet extract if you use flavored coffee creamer?

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #12 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyfj1

Amy, do you use the flavored creamer as the whole creamer or do you use some plain creamer and some flavored?

lkoenig07 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 30

So she added 10 Tbsp. of creamer & 4 Tbsp. wedding bouquet flavoring, right? Also, what does the wedding bouquet flavoring consist of?

grannys3angels Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #14 of 30

Majormichel, Sharon does her's with the WB flavoring and plain powder coffee creamer. I haven't tried it with another flavor coffee creamer, only the plain, when using the WB flavoring or when I have use Butavan flavoring.

I have been using her recipe for almost 3 years now and everyone here really loves the texture and taste. I use french vanilla blend flavoring and butter flavoring with french vanilla flavor coffee creamer.

In a few months I will be doing a cake for my best friends daughter, it will be iced with Sharon's Chot. BC recipe...I am going to try the chot. flavor coffee creamer with it.

For me, if I am not sure what flavor coffee creamer to use with a flavoring, I go with the plain coffee creamer. Someone who has tried different combos of flavorings and flavors of coffee creamer, may come a long and be able to give you more info on this. Good Luck!

God Bless,
Sharon
EDITED TO SAY: You can use 10 to 12 tablespoons of the creamer mixture, or more/or less...it really depends on the texture you want. For me, I will do 10 to 12 of the creamer mixture for a cake...but I like it a little thinner for CC's so I will use 12 to 14 tablespoons. Also it will depend on my weather as to how much I will use. I find here, that in summer I will also use less liquid, in winter may be more.

rocketmom1985 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 6:57pm
post #15 of 30

Are those using the Sugarshack recipe using high ratio shortening? Can't get it here.... icon_cry.gif

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:13pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

So she added 10 Tbsp. of creamer & 4 Tbsp. wedding bouquet flavoring, right? Also, what does the wedding bouquet flavoring consist of?

for my 5 quart it is 4 TBS WB and 12 TBS of creamer for total of one cup of liquid

the WB is a combo of almond, vanilla, butter and other yummy flavors

HTH

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

K, thanks all...

One more question. SugarShack's BC recipe doesn't tell you how much creamer & how much flavoring to put in. So how much of each do all of you who use her recipe use??

look for the 5 quart recipe here:

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/few-of-my-favorite-things.html

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

Are those using the Sugarshack recipe using high ratio shortening? Can't get it here.... icon_cry.gif

many use store shortenings that HAVE trans fat with success.

the new crisco may not work.

HTH

CourtneysSweets Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #19 of 30

Okay so I have everything but the WB flavoring and HR. I do have store brand shortening with the trans fat though.
My question is has anyone had good success with just vanilla? I can't use the almond because of nut allergies.
Also I got just the original coffee-mate powdered creamer, is that right?

majormichel Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

Majormichel, Sharon does her's with the WB flavoring and plain powder coffee creamer. I haven't tried it with another flavor coffee creamer, only the plain, when using the WB flavoring or when I have use Butavan flavoring.

I have been using her recipe for almost 3 years now and everyone here really loves the texture and taste. I use french vanilla blend flavoring and butter flavoring with french vanilla flavor coffee creamer.

In a few months I will be doing a cake for my best friends daughter, it will be iced with Sharon's Chot. BC recipe...I am going to try the chot. flavor coffee creamer with it.

For me, if I am not sure what flavor coffee creamer to use with a flavoring, I go with the plain coffee creamer. Someone who has tried different combos of flavorings and flavors of coffee creamer, may come a long and be able to give you more info on this. Good Luck!

God Bless,
Sharon
EDITED TO SAY: You can use 10 to 12 tablespoons of the creamer mixture, or more/or less...it really depends on the texture you want. For me, I will do 10 to 12 of the creamer mixture for a cake...but I like it a little thinner for CC's so I will use 12 to 14 tablespoons. Also it will depend on my weather as to how much I will use. I find here, that in summer I will also use less liquid, in winter may be more.

To get the chocolate bc version what do you do differently?

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:48pm
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianAngel

Okay so I have everything but the WB flavoring and HR. I do have store brand shortening with the trans fat though.
My question is has anyone had good success with just vanilla? I can't use the almond because of nut allergies.
Also I got just the original coffee-mate powdered creamer, is that right?

you can use whatever flavorings you want, just correct the amount for that and adjust the total liquid accordingly.

grannys3angels Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #22 of 30

Sharon's Chocolate Crusting Buttercream:

2.5 cups butter
2.5 cups shortening
Splash of vanilla
Dump in cocoa and mix all of the above till very dark brown (I do not measure it)
5 pounds powdered sugar streamed in
Coffee creamer liquid (as shown in DVD) in amount needed
Good at room temp for several days to weeks. Fridge or freeze also.

You can also go to her blog http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/ and she's has more recipes. I love her blog she has all kinds of info on it also.
I haven't tried yet (the chot bc) but I am looking forward to trying it and a few other of her recipes.
God Bless,
Sharon

rocketmom1985 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #23 of 30

OK,dumb question...where on the label will I find out if the house brand has the transfats or not? icon_redface.gif

I just checked the walmart store pages and found they also carry bakerite brand and the great value brand. Neither of these is pure veggie oil. Don't know if I wanna make bc from the same stuff I used to make soap with tapedshut.gif

majormichel Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:21am
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

Sharon's Chocolate Crusting Buttercream:

2.5 cups butter
2.5 cups shortening
Splash of vanilla
Dump in cocoa and mix all of the above till very dark brown (I do not measure it)
5 pounds powdered sugar streamed in
Coffee creamer liquid (as shown in DVD) in amount needed
Good at room temp for several days to weeks. Fridge or freeze also.

You can also go to her blog http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/ and she's has more recipes. I love her blog she has all kinds of info on it also.
I haven't tried yet (the chot bc) but I am looking forward to trying it and a few other of her recipes.
God Bless,
Sharon

Thank you

biancas_mommy Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:45am
post #25 of 30

I always use sharon's recipe and i've used it with both store-brand (trans fat) shortening AND the new crisco (non-trans fat) and personally i've not noticed much, if any, difference. every time i've made it it's been better than any othe recipe i've ever tried. it's great!

mandifrye Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 5:15pm
post #26 of 30

I use the new Crisco everytime I make it! It is my "never-fail" icing recipe. I can always count on Sugarshack's to pull me through with no unexpected diasters!!!

CourtneysSweets Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 2:49am
post #27 of 30

Okay so I made this using store brand shortening. I loved it! Only thing is the next day on the cake it was sort of crumbly? icon_surprised.gif
Is this how it usually turns out? This is my first time making any kind of buttercream so I'm not sure what to expect..

sugarshack Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #28 of 30

crumbly???

more details please

it will have a nice good crust the next day but should not crumble

CourtneysSweets Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #29 of 30

I made the cake (in my pictures) and my roses and even the border piping when put a fork on it would crumble.. if I rubbed it between my hands it was like a sand consistency.. it was perfect piping on so I am confused.. icon_sad.gif

sugarshack Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:45am
post #30 of 30

hmmmm.... i really do now know!

maybe use more shortening in the recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%