Do You Take A Cake Order If Your Not Excited About It? Help!

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 1:12am by __Jamie__

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 17

Should I make a cake if I'm not super excited about it? I love that the mom is doing butterflies for her daughter's 1st b.day. I've never made them out of fondant but I dont think it would be terrible hard! And they want 'white cake w/white buttercream'. Seems boring. He asked me to make a sample and I did last night and will take it to him today. My husband thinks it would be good for me to do. This will be my 2nd paid order and I told him the price starts at $75 for 20-30. He told me yesterday that it is now 52+ people so I think that would double the price, right? He has a REALLY good job. I dont think money is an issue. And there is noone else around here that I know of that will make custom cakes w/fondant, ect. What would you do? Take it and hope you get more excited? I will prolly be more excited when it comes to the decorating.

16 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 17

It doesnt' sound like its the decorating that you are not excited about but the cake/icing flavors.

I'm one who could care less what flavor they are ordering or what color they want it decorated in. As long as their money is green, I'm excited.

I get excited about being able to pay the rent and the lights and buy gas for my van. Every paid cake does that.

I wasn't "excited" about going to work in the corporate world everyday, either. Not a lot of people are, but we all do it everyday to pay the bills.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 17

do cakes all the time that don't wow me. I love it when I get to put my own creative touch to something. But it is about what the customer wants...just look at it as more practice in your craft.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 17

I did a cake today that I sort of had freedom to do whatever as long as it was pink/lavender roses with white icing.....Love that kind of order....and usually they get more than they pay for because I get to play with something I've seen or want to try! Today for her 90th birthday, the lady got some free gumpaste roses.... I has seen a new way to do them and just wanted an excuse to try it! So even if it is a plain ol' white cake...you can have fun by doing something new to you....and sounds like butterflies could be the new thing to learn!

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 17

I'm the same way. I LOVE trying new things. I have an order for a cake Sunday that is almost exactly like what I did for a shower cake. BORING and I'm not too enthused about it. None the less...like indydebi said...I get excited if the money is green.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 17

if you went to another business and wanted something but they weren't "excited" about it, so they tell you that they won't do what you're asking for. How would you feel? I say do the cake. Its not always gonna be what you want, you have to please the client.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 17

Maybe once you begin to design / work on the cake, your excitement may kick in. I have this pic below in my favs, and although it was for a wedding and pumpkin theme, it is very beautiful and simple with some pearls and whimsical roses.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_76769.html

If anything.... think about the smile on the little girl's face as she blows out her first candle on her first birthday cake designed by you!!! thumbs_up.gif

~ Jaime

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 17

yeah, I do it anyway, I just gripe and whine the whole way thru...lol. then I get excited when the $ comes in, lol.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 17

I think that is precisely why I am dragging my feet turning my hobby into a business. Now I can turn down things I don't want to do without feeling bad. I have told my friends I am not really interested in doing repeats of things they may have seen me do before, and that I am much more likely to say yes if the cake offers a challenge of some sort, an opportunity to try a new technique or a new shape.

The flip side to that is of course that I am a wreck with each one I do because I am usually totally out of my depth, have no idea of what I am doing - but somehow I manage to wing it in the end. I must just have a secret need to make my own life difficult.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 17

I am not excited about every cake order but you do it anyway!! Why pick and choose? The more cakes you do the more experienced you become. I myself am building a small business and could care less if I like the design or not. If the customer likes it and you get paid then your mission was accomplished!

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 17

I always get excited when doing all different cakes it helps me perfect my decorating skills, and they always seem to turn out better. I agree with indydebi about the flavoring. Maybe they like plain white cake, maybe they dont want any fillings, allergies?? This is the way you should look at it, you get to create butterflies and make it a fun cake, like ladybbug said the little girl will have a smile on her face. Also I have alot of customers started out doing 1st bday or even baby shower cake and they are continually repeat cusotmers for every bday. And of course for the money, it will be all worth it. I think you should do it!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 17

I am with bisbqueenb I tend to go over board when I range of what I want to do. I ge to try new things that I have learned here.

shell62995 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks everyone! I havent really thought about making cakes for money. I just like playing w/food. But the practice would be great. making a little girl happy would be great too! I have a little 2 yr old girl so I really love girly things! and angelcakes makes a great point about future cakes! Thanks everyone for putting the wind in my sails!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 17

Since this isn't my livelihood...picking and choosing is exactly what I do. I don't even hesitate when someone asks about cupcakes or sheet cakes...sorry! I no makie sheet cakes OR cupcakes!

Anything else...I'm game! icon_smile.gif

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Since this isn't my livelihood...picking and choosing is exactly what I do. I don't even hesitate when someone asks about cupcakes or sheet cakes...sorry! I no makie sheet cakes OR cupcakes!

Anything else...I'm game! icon_smile.gif

rotflol - you crack me up! hahaha

shell62995 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #16 of 17

I met w/ the family this evening. After looking at my pictures the wife told me I can do what ever I want! I'm gonna love this cake. PLUS they want to pick it up! so I dont have to stress out while I travel w/ it!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:12am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell62995

I met w/ the family this evening. After looking at my pictures the wife told me I can do what ever I want! I'm gonna love this cake. PLUS they want to pick it up! so I dont have to stress out while I travel w/ it!

Ahhh...the perfect order. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%