I Need Help With My Foundation

Decorating By Pitchers_Bakery Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm by Jeannie21

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 9

ok by foundation i mean like solid great recipes for cakes. ive tried many different recipes from all over and i never get amazing feed back just that the cake looks great. So if anyone has some great basic cakes that are always a hit, or even icing or cake fillings i just am so desperate and tired of trying so many cake recipes and nothing is right. help please does anyone have cake recipes that are always great tasting?

8 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 9

Cake has always been just cake to me..take it or leave it...until I made the White Almond Sour Cream cake aka. WASC. It is amazing! People flip out. I have seen it on bakery websites as their "wedding cake". And with slight modifications, you can use it as your "foundation" to make yellow, chocolate, etc.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with ddaigle......WASC all the way! I just made one today as a matter of fact, came out moist and beautiful as usual! I also recently tried a raspberry filling I got here on CC to fill a chocolate WASC ! Everyone LOVEd it! Even try searching for fillings here on CC......there is usually a bunch of forum topics and whatnot on opinions and ravings about different fillings. Here is a WASC recipe and Chocolate WASC and also the Raspberry filling!

WASC:

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html

Chocolate WASCicon_sad.gifI like to replace the water in this recipe with brewed coffee! Gives it a nice rich taste!)

2 boxes chocolate cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 cups sour cream
6 whole eggs
Directions
1Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.
2Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan a little over half full.
4Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top.
5Bake in preheated 325° F oven until cake tests done.

For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites.

Raspberry Filling:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-Raspberry-Filling.html

ddaigle Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 9

I think Raspberry tastes the best with chocolate cakes. But I'm lazy...I just add seedless raspberry jam to my buttercream for a quick filling.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 9

Great idea! I will have to try that soon!! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 6:06am
post #6 of 9

Thank you for helping me out, I can't wait to try these ideas and recipes... so the raspberry jam idea can you do that with any (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry etc.) for filling? Thank you again, you have no idea how much more happier i am now that i feel like someone out there cares! thanks you!!!

ddaigle Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 9

I always make sure and buy the SEEDLESS jams.

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 9

I use seedless jams also in my icing. Curds, sauces make a nice addition to my buttercream, too. (lemon curd, pineapple curd, lime curd, caramel sauce, dulce de leche, etc). If you are like me, I don't always like to make my own curd, so I order mine from Stonewall Kitchen. They have a great selection of products that make a great addition to my buttercreams. I usually add 1/3 cup of curd, jam, etc to about 2 cups of buttercream.

As far as cakes, if you don't want to use cake mix and want something from scratch, DeDe wilson's book "The wedding Cake Book" and elissa strauss' book "Confetti Cakes" both have a vanilla white cake that is out of this world! they even have variations for different cake flavors using this one base recipe!!! HTH

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 9

ddaigle- How much Jam do you put in your buttercream? Im anxious to try this! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%