Diamond Pattern Impression Mat Help!!!!

Decorating By mazz Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm by mazz

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a Fondatnt coved 3 Tier Cake today. Sizes are 12, 10 and 8 inch round.

I bought the Diamond Pattern Impression Mat but I'm not sure how to use it.

First, how much pressure do you need to make sure the impression takes in the fondant.

Then, How do you go around a round cake.

Or do I do the impression on the fondant before putting it on the cake.

Please Help.

Mazz

5 replies
wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

I just did my first one last week, I applies the fondant first and then did the impression with the cake on the turntable. It takes a lot of pressure and once you remove the mat it is really hard to line it up again so make sure you have pushed hard enough the first time around. Put it on and then rub it hard along the whole area it touches and then rotate the cake, try not to lift the impression mat off of the cake if you can help it. HTH, good luck, I think it takes some practice. I had some spots that I tried to go over twice and you can see where it didn't exactly line up. Hopefully someone with more experience will also answer you but I thought I would share my experience. Mine is the opera cake in my pics.

mazz Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much.

Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

Mazz

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

I can't help you but I would like to know more tips about this. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 6

One tip: it's best to use the impression mat while the fondant is as fresh as possible. Once the cake is covered, use the impression mat on the cake right away, even before you stack them. This allows for more pressure and it keeps you from messing up the bottom tiers.

In the future, you might want to try a different quilter. There's one you can get from Global Sugar Arts under their patchwork cutters category. It shows it on it's side, but it can be used vertically or horizontally. This works great on buttercream and fondant and I LOVE MINE!! It's easy to line up and it's easy to use on any shape cake.

Here's an example of a cake I did using this quilter.
LL

mazz Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for all your help. I am glad you all told me to do it as soon as I put the fondant on the cake. After I used the impression mat I went over the lines with a quilting type wheel. It came out very good for my first try. The hardest part was getting the back to line up.

The picture of the cake on the above post is awesome.

Thank you all again.

Mazz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%