Clean Colored Fondant? Kneading Fondant?

Decorating By softgreenside Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 3:58pm by softgreenside

softgreenside Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 7

Just wondering what techniques you use to clean colored fondant?

When i need it i use Corn Starch but i find it tends to dry it out.

What do you use to knead your fondant?

6 replies
cathie_shinnick Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 7

Do you make your own fondant? I use CS too but just a dusting on my counter. When I kned it, i just dust my hands a little. I also put my fondant in the microwave for about 6-7 seconds just enough to get it soft, but be careful sometimes it gets hot. As for cleaning it I use a very soft brush. Or paint over it with vodka or lemon ex tract.

cakesmade4u Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 7

powder sugar, shortening, and you can also do a mix of cornstarch powder sugar. But the shortening will moisten it up.. icon_razz.gif

softgreenside Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 7

I don't make my own Fondant i actually use Santin Ice Fondant. But i find when kneading it with Corn Starch it comes out pretty dry.

I'll try the vodlka...

Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 7

I just use a little paper towel (viva) with some crisco and rub the cake or fondant it self and that's it , i will a little shiny but then the fondant will absorb the crisco.

I hope this can help thumbs_up.gif

Jeaucl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

I am curious would the vodka or lemon extract add a sheen or shiny coat to the fondant? I find that vanilla extract does and it drives us nuts, just wandering if the others would do that as well?

softgreenside Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 7

I find when i put the Vodlka on it to clean, it is always shiny and stays shiny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%