Wire Vs. Pasta????

Decorating By krambkakes Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm by ibmoser

krambkakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 13

Hi guys,

I need to make a cake with music notes (gumpaste/fondant) standing up out of the cake. I know that you can spray pasta and use it with fondant covered cakes, but in buttercream the pasta gets soggy, so I thought I would attach the notes onto wire. I went to Nick Lodge the other day to pick up supplies and they said NO.....wire will rust!
So I wonder what are you all doing to get this effect on a buttercream cake????
KrambKakes

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 13

First of all, you can get special covered wires for cake decorating and then, to be on the safe side, you can stick straws down into the cake first (from the really thin ones for individual wires to the bigger fat ones if you are doing a spray of wires). Your wires will not come into contact with cake that will be eaten that way. Hope that helps!

BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 13

You can use wire if you cover it in floral tape first. Floral tape is a stretchy fabric tape which sticks to itself, you can buy in places like Michaels or florist shops.

delisa01 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 13

HI- I have used Popsicle sticks glued on with chocolate.

When I have used wire, I put in a coffee straw in the cake then put the wire into the straw so it is not touching the cake.

HTH

Susie53 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 13

I have used the dry pasta/spaghetti through a skinny straw on my cakes. You might even try coffee stirs...the straw kind.

Susie53 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 13

delisa01, you beat me to it...LOL!

krambkakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 13

Thankyou all sooooo much!!! I appreciate the responses. I will use straws . Wish me luch~
Kelly

krambkakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 13

oops....luck

Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

First of all, you can get special covered wires for cake decorating and then, to be on the safe side, you can stick straws down into the cake first (from the really thin ones for individual wires to the bigger fat ones if you are doing a spray of wires). Your wires will not come into contact with cake that will be eaten that way. Hope that helps!

I agree with bonjovibabe thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

GOOD LUCK thumbs_up.gif

bashini Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 13

Hi, I don't insert wires diractly in the cakes. So I use a posypick. Which you insert it in the cake, and then insert the wired stars or whatever in the posypick. thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #11 of 13

What's wrong with wooden skewers? I usually stick my wires into a coffee stirrer, but unless you cram it full they will spin around inside.

MacsMom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 13

I forgot to add...

I have stuck floral wire directly into cake as I've seen Duff do this and there was no rusting. (One was for a neighbor and one was for a friend).

Perhaps I'm silly, but I tend to say to myself, "If Duff can do it, so can I!"

ibmoser Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #13 of 13

I use covered wires in straws if the weight of the "ornament" allows. I have had pasta break before, and I have had it absorb moisture from the cake/frosting and bend, so unless everything must be edible, I'll stick with wires or skewers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%