Wait Or Not To Wait? That Is The Question??

Decorating By GayeG Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm by GayeG

GayeG Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
This one kinda stumps me ... Do you wait for your buttercream to crust b4 you add the fondant or not?? I've tried several times both ways and cant seem to get it right! If I wait, then the fondant looks like its loose, like its not adhearing (?) to anything - and I do use a smoother, but if I put it on while wet, then you can see all the imperfections of the buttercream ... *sigh* Please tell me what I'm doing wrong!
Thanks in advance!!

7 replies
chefbarbie0513 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 8

I wait for it to crust. Then i wet the fondant, just alittle bit, and apply it to the cake. You can also use a spray bottle and mist your cake and then attach the fondant. The water dries and you cant tell the butter cream was ever wet.

GayeG Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 8

Common sense! Thats what I'm lacking!! icon_redface.gif That sounds so much better than my attempts! Thank you so much chefbarbie for helping! It will come in handy this week-end!

Frankyola Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 8

Do not put a thick layer of buttercream under the fondant and the spray bottle idea it is so good. thumbs_up.gif

j-pal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 8

I also smooth my buttercream before putting the fondant on. I don't worry about getting it as smooth as if it's my final coat, but I always hit it with a paper towel to get the major bumps out of it. Happy decorating!

GayeG Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 8

Thank all of ya'll so much! I still have so much to learn!! I'm gonna try all of the advice, it was so helpful! Everyone around me here just looks at me like I'm talking a different language! I'm so happy I found this community - everyone has been so nice icon_lol.gif Thanx again! Have a good week-end!

GayeG Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 8

It absolutly does .. and will!! (Had to go straight to the acronyms and look up IHTH!!) Thank you so much for all the links! And advice! And I love the butterfly's too!! So cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%