Disco Ball

Decorating By cathie_shinnick Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 2:00pm by BakingGirl

cathie_shinnick Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has ever made a disco ball. I have an idea as how I will do it, but was wondering if anone else had ever done one.

6 replies
BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 7

Never made one but I am guessing it won't be too hard. You obviously need to make a ball cake. To cover it I would take a small square cutter and cut out lots of fondant squares and just get to work covering the ball. Then use Pearl lustre dust mixed with Silver to get a shiny silver finish. Airbrushing it is probably the easiest way of getting it even, but painting will work too.

crisseyann Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 7

I've had this pic in my favorites for so long and really want to try it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=56725

The artist explains pretty well what they did to make this cake, but maybe you could PM them if you need more details. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

cathie_shinnick Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

Those ideas are exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the link to see one. I am doing a rock of ages cake. first for the 60s, a juke box. then 70s disco ball. then sitting on the disco ball a pair of leopard print spandex like pants for the 80s. I couldn't think of anything else. then a stack of cd'd for the 90s. and on the very top. an I-pod. I was thinking of formong the pants fron ricekrispy treats then cover with fondant. Im just not to sure of how to get the RCT smooth. any sugestions there?

BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 7

Use BC (or RI) to spackle and smooth the bumpy RCT before adding fondant. I also try and smush the Rice Crispies a little before adding the marshmallow to make the mixture more dense and less bumpy.

cathie_shinnick Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, I never thought of crushing them a little. Thanks for the great idea. Do you know the ratio, Rice Crispies/marshmallow?

BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:00pm
post #7 of 7

I always just use the recipe on the box, seems to work fine for me. If it is too wet just add a bit more RC until it seems right to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%