Best Melting Chocolate For Chocolate Covered Oreos?

Baking By swheatsue Updated 14 Jan 2009 , 1:36am by SueW

swheatsue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swheatsue Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:59am
post #1 of 12

I tried chocolate-covered Oreos over the holidays using melted Nestles chocolate chips. I guess they were OK but I am not sure that was the best chocolate to use. Can anyone suggest the best form of chocolate to use for melting purposes? I thought the chocolate chips would be a better quality than the "Candy Melts" but after a few days the dark chocolate started turning white & they tasted stale. Thanks for your help.

11 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 12

I really like Ghirardelli's Double Chocolate Dipping Bar that you can get at Sam's Club around the holidays. I stock up! It's very reasonably priced, and it tastes fabulous. When I run out, I use a half and half mixture of CandyMelts and chocolate chips.

cookie_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_fun Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 12

I did chocolate covered oreas this Christmas too, and I used the Merkens mild chocolate. They got rave reviews and I thought they tasted fabulous. Merkens wafers also melt really nicely, and if you use a double boiler and add a tsp or 2 of vegetable oil it thins the chocolate down nicely to put into molds.

I've heard from others on this site that Merkens is the best, so that's why I tried them. If have to say, I'm not disappointed at all, and I will definitely buy again. Good luck to you!
thumbs_up.gif

swheatsue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swheatsue Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 12

As always, you CCers come through. Thanks to both of you for your wonderful advice/tips. I have been so inspired by everyone on this site & learned so much. I always get rave reviews for the NFSCs & of course I take all the credit! What they don't know ......

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 12

I use the 3# nestle melting bars (made to go in chocolate fountains). I got a ton at a discount store a year ago and now am running out......so sad!! What will I do when it's gone??? icon_cry.gif

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 12

I order my candy melts form Chocoley.com . They are a small and good company try checking them out.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 12

I use the Ghirardelli bars that Gemini recommended. My Sam's club sells them year round.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 12

I'm not a member at sams, but I am at B.J.s. Does anyone know if they have the Ghirardelli bars?

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 12

I stocked up on Ghirardelli from Sam's too. You can't find it after Christmas. Merckens is also good. I buy it at my local cake and candy supply store.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks - I just checked my cake store - they have all colors of Merckens

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

I use the Ghirardelli bars that Gemini recommended. My Sam's club sells them year round.

That's just not fair! I'm so envious! The only good thing about them being seasonal at the Omaha Sam's is that they were reduced in price. I stocked up on them when I saw the $4.03 price tag.

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarchic

I order my candy melts form Chocoley.com . They are a small and good company try checking them out.

ohhhhhh i use their chocolate for my fountain, it is SO good thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%