Storing Butterflies And Roses?

Decorating By sarahgower Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm by j-pal

sarahgower Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:39am
post #1 of 4

I need some advice please! I am making my sisters wedding cake in April and 150 mini cakes, which all want butterflies on, and the main cake needs roses and a scattering of butterflies. However i only have 4 days in wich to do this task as she is gettign married in the Dominican and having the reception when we get back so my question is how do i store the roses and butterflies so that i can make them before we go and they will still be dry and hard when i get back? Any ideas/advice whatsoever would be GRATELY appreciated. thankyou

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:07pm
post #2 of 4

If you're making them from gumpaste you can make them between now and then and just store them in containers that are covered but not airtight. A shoe box would be fine, that kind of thing...The only time that I had gumpaste soften up on me was when I had put some on a cake, then put the cakein an airtight plastic cake caddy. The moisture from the icing must have recirculated in the container and softened up the gumpaste.

I have gumpaste pieces that have kept for over a year or more and don't soften up, so you should be fine to do them early.

mbt4955 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 4

I spent almost a year doing gumpaste flowers for my daughter's cakes. It has now been 2 1/2 years and the extras are still fine! I had styrofoam that I cut to fit in the bottom of my boxes, stick the wire in the styrofoam, put the lid on the box and kept them out of the light. icon_smile.gif

j-pal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

Like someone else mentioned, it really depends on what you're making them out of. In my experience, gumpaste usually stays hard unless it's stored in a closed area with something else wet or damp. Plus, you can begin making them now and not have to wait until 4 days before the wedding. If you're making the pieces at home, going to the wedding and returning, they should stay fine over that time period just boxed and covered. I like to use the shallow gift boxes for many types of flowers. I also have several 3-drawer plastic storage units that I store tons of pre-made flowers in. They're handy because I can get to them without having to restack boxes, but they keep my flowers protected. I also line the bottom of the drawers with the non-skid matting that they make for cabinets and drawers. Keeps the flowers from sliding into one another when opening and shutting the drawer. Not sure if this helps, but good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%