Buttercream Painting

Decorating By sulia Updated 6 Nov 2011 , 8:09pm by Kellycreations

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:22am
post #1 of 7

hi

can anyone give me some instructions or tips on how to paint a cake with buttercream - i've seen some awesome works of art here and on the net where decorators have 'painted' vincent van gogh's "starry starry night" and edvard munch's "the scream" onto a cake all in shades of buttercream.

thanks so very much
maimi

6 replies
sulia Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #2 of 7

anyone?? - any advice at all
thanks again
maimi

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 7

Hi Maimi,

I have painted on buttercream, but usually I'll paint with icing colors - not very often with the buttercream as the actual paint. The times that I have, I've watered down buttercream and sponged with it or daubed it on with a brush for certain effects, but I've never done a full-blown cake painted with buttercream, on buttercream.

One example is when I've done mountain effects on a cake using thinned down icings and a pointed, tapered spatula, almost like a painter's tool. If you've ever seen any oil painting on t.v. or taken a class, you'll probably know what I'm talking about. However, I'm not sure that I can describe it clearly! Or, for that matter, if that's even what you're looking for or interested in hearing about!!

I've also painted on fondant and fondant plaques exactly the same way you'd paint with watercolors - and it's much easier than painting on buttercream, because the buttercream has a tendency to "give" if you press too hard with the brush.

I don't think I've been any help, but thought I'd tell what little I could! Good luck.

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 12:35am
post #4 of 7

I am not sure if this cake artist paints on fondant or buttercream...the pix are too small or my eyes are too old to tell...click on sculpted/painted

http://www.kellycreations.ca/pg4gallery.html

I googled this a long time ago and booked marked this site, but the cake site seems to be gone, but you can try to email her...addy is on page
http://www.onestroke.biz/TrainingCamps.htm

This one stroke is the same type of style KellyCreations artist uses...

You can purchase the OneStroke for cake colors on line but the price is outrageous...I think it is on Donna Dewberry's site or maybe it was QVC's site that carried them. I don't have a link sorry...

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

You know, I got to thinking... (can be dangerous, but every once in awhile I really let loose) and I started googling "starry night" cakes. Every one I found was one of two different styles: either fondant, painted with food colors, or it was just loosely piped buttercream. Some of them looked very nice, and gave the same effect as the painting.

If I were going to attempt this cake (or something similar), I'd more than likely pipe with a small tip in a zigzag motion and then go back with a paintbrush dipped in water very similar to brushed embroidery. This way, you've achieved the painted look, but are still just piping the majority of the work. Does that make sense?

Anyway... just thought I'd add that!

sulia Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 7

Hi there

thanks so much for the links and the advice - much appreciated
i like the zig zag idea too -will try that as the effect i want is not on fondant

regards
maimi

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 6 Nov 2011 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

I just stumbled upon this post, I am Kellycreations thanks for the link to my site rocketmom1985
Just to confirm the painted cakes on my site are done on fondant icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%