Is There A Difference In High-Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm by kjt

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:31am
post #1 of 21

I'm only aware of 3 different brands: CK, Alpine & Sweetex

I'm wondering if there is a difference in the texture & taste of the 3. I'm trying to decide if I want to try it---if it's worth the cost. And if I do bite the bullet, which should I go w/?

20 replies
katwomen1up Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 21

The only one I've used is the sweetex, I can't say anything about the others. I do like it better than regular shortening though exspecially in the heat.

HTH
Kat

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 21

Where do you get high ratio shortening? I don't see it in my local grocery store.

Lisa

**This is my 100th post. Do I get a prize?? icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 21

i have not tried ck but i have tried alpine and sweetex and i like sweetex by far the best and pay the extra money because i think it is worth it. many others are very happy with alpine and ck, though. I am just crazy anal about my icing, and I like what I like... lol.

katwomen1up Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #5 of 21

Cake supply stores carry the high ratio.

tyty Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #6 of 21

I have tried CK brand and Sweetex. I do like Sweetex better because my icing comes out more creamy. I didn't want to try it at first because of the cost but in the heat and humidity of summer it's worth the extra bucks.

Frankyola Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:58am
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyty

I have tried CK brand and Sweetex. I do like Sweetex better because my icing comes out more creamy. I didn't want to try it at first because of the cost but in the heat and humidity of summer it's worth the extra bucks.

Totally agree thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

kjt Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 21

Would y'all mind telling me where you buy your hi ratio shortening? I'm looking for an online source as my local bake shop's prices are killing me icon_sad.gif .
Thanks!

arosstx Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 21

You can buy it online, here is one place that is (semi) reasonable, http://www.intotheoven.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=hi%20ratio&keywords=hi+ratio. The shipping will kill you though, and no place online will sell less than the 50lb cube.

You can try custom cake shops in your area, one not far from here sells it in 1lb increments. (Cakes Amore in Plano, TX in case anyone local is interested)

kjt Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 21

Thanks Audrey...unfortunately they are out of stock, and OF COURSE - I need it now.

arosstx Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 21

Try these guys then, http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619115
I think this link is for a smaller quantity, but if you need bigger they have it. And I love this company - order from them regularly, reasonable shipping and fast!

Good luck,

arosstx Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #12 of 21
kjt Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

Found the larger amount, http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619029
Hope this helps!

Thanks, oh me, I just ordered a PME snowflake cutter from them last week and it arrived in two days! Wish I'd been thinking, I should have looked for the shortening then icon_rolleyes.gif !

newmansmom2004 Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 21

I've used Sweetex, Alpine and Super Quik Blend and they're all relatively similar. I didn't notice any big difference between them. The Super Quik Blend is a brand that I can purchase at a bake shop not far from where I live. The other two brands I've had to order online.

sugarshack Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 21

sweetex at bakers kitchen online best price

kjt Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 1:36pm
post #16 of 21

I ordered 50# from Country Kitchen SweetArt, thinking it would be the CK brand (the 3# is CK, I just assumed, well I know what that does) - it's BakeMark...anybody ever used this???

TIA

Sharon, I hope you have an opinion about this brand and your icing recipe.

sugarshack Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #17 of 21

I have never used bakemark, sorry.

But i bet the 3# is bakemark also and they put the ck label on it so dont fret yet.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:38pm
post #18 of 21

let us know how bakemark works. My big turn off in purchasing is taste. I can get over not having super creamy, but if the taste is off then you're screwed!

sparklepopz Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 21

I have been using BakeMark high ratio shortening for about 3 years now, and I'm quite happy with it. There is a BakeMark warehouse within half an hour of my house and I buy alot of their products. I LOVE their butter-vanilla emusion.

mamacc Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #20 of 21

I don't really like Alpine. I notice a funky taste when I use it and I can't get rid of it no matter how much sugar and flavorings i add. I actually took back the 50# cube to the bakery supply house and she recommended that I try Vreamay icing shortening and I really like it!! It's nice and soft and creamy with NO weird aftertaste. It was a little under $50 for the 50# cube.

I use sweetex a lot at my PT job and it is a great shortening too, just more pricey.

kjt Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #21 of 21

WOW, Vreamay is a great price...I'm going to try the BakeMark...I'll let y'all know what I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%