2 12X18 Sheets - In The Garbage! Bad Baking Powder?

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm by IcedTea4Me2

Edibleart Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 5

I had a bad baking day! I'm writing this in hopes that no one will have the same problem. The only thing that I did differently today was to use the new Argo aluminum free baking powder. I opened a newly boughten bottle just yesterday. I ended up with a runny batter that sank after baking and produced a large rubbery yucky tasting cake. I have made this cake - in this size - many times without ever having this result. After I switched back to my regular baking powder - the cake was fine. I had no idea that baking powder could so drastically change the outcome of a product! Thanks for letting me vent.

4 replies
GI Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #2 of 5

Wow that is SUCH a bummer! I would take that baking powder back to the store for a refund! Sometimes it just FEELS better than dumping it, you know!

Go Figure! I'm not going to buy that kind!!

JanH Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:54am
post #3 of 5

My, that was an awful baking day. icon_sad.gif

I also just recently purchased the new aluminum-free Argo baking powder.

Will have to throw some in hot water to see if it fizzes....

Edibleart Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 5

I would love to know if anyone else has this problem. I wish I had used it on a smaller cake to begin with. The cake did raise somewhat but it sunk after coming out of the oven and made a coarse crumb where usually the cake is extremely soft with a tight crumb. I could hardly believe that baking powder would do that, but it was the only thing I did differently and it was fine when I went back to the my regular - Rumford, baking powder. I tried the Argo because it is much cheaper and I like the new container for measuring. Maybe I just got a bad batch. My DH thinks I should call the company and complain also. I tend to be non confrontational but they definitely won't be gaining my business!

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

I'm sorry that happened to you. I definitely won't be buying any!

Quote by @%username% on %date%