Display Cakes

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 1:58am by bubba01

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #1 of 9

Hello! For those of you who do display cakes in buttercream, do you still use dowel rods to support the cakes? I have a 4 tier cake to display done in buttercream, I didn't know if the weight of the 1st two tiers would affect the bottom two tiers? Any input would be great. Thanks.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 9

When you say "display" cakes, do you mean styrofoam cakes?

if so, then no, you don't need dowels. styrofoam doesn't crush. That's why they use it for packing material around fragile stuff.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 9

I'm assuming that you are usuing styrofoam cake dummies. You could insert one dowel rod down the center to keep them all attached if you want to, but the styrofoam is durable enough that you would not need any dowel rods for support. I do not use dowel rods when i'm doing display cakes. I hope this helps.

Patrice

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 9

I just use my BC for the glue to hold the tiers together. I pick the cakes up by the top tier to move them. Holds great. (but bear in mind that my bc turns to concrete when applied to a dummy. If yours doesn't, maybe you shouldn't try picking them up by the top tier. icon_wink.gif )

bubba01 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:39am
post #5 of 9

Yes, I'm using styrofoam cake dummies. But would it push the frosting from underneath each tier?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #6 of 9

No it won't push the icing from under the styro. Styro is so light it just sits on top unless you put it on very, very thick.

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba01

Yes, I'm using styrofoam cake dummies. But would it push the frosting from underneath each tier?

how much icing were you planning on putting on that cake? icon_lol.gif Heck, I even have some of the styrofoam showing thru the icing before I place the next cake on top. Make sure you ice the top where the cake is going to show ... outside where the next tier is going to sit. Then a thin blop in the middle to act as glue.

It's not a real cake, ya know, icon_wink.gif .... doesnt' need the same amount of icing. Just enough to glue it together.

BTW, save some pennies and don't add flavoring to the icing ... it won't be eaten, either. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:52am
post #8 of 9

P.S. It would take a lot of weight to push icing out ... ever lifted 4 or 5 styrofoams? They dont' weigh ANYTHING.

bubba01 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:58am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%