Diamond Pattern Without Mat

Decorating By Danacakes65 Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 4:05am by Doug

Danacakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danacakes65 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 10

I ordered a diamond impression mat but if it does not get here in time I am wondering how to do a diamond pattern on the cake without a mat.

9 replies
Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #2 of 10

If you have a picture of the pattern you are doing, I would think you could do it with your quilting tool, because, the mat is only going to put a light impression on the fondant as a guide. And then you would use this quilting tool to put the "actual line" deeper into it. So, if you have a steady hand, and "know" the pattern well, I say go for it!

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 10

I have used an argyle print scrapbook page in a pinch. thumbs_up.gif Just go to the craft store and get a scrapbook page with a pattern that is the right size. Pin prick the pattern, lightly rub onto the cake and then trace with your quilting tool. Easy peasy...but not as easy as the impression mat. icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #4 of 10

Bc or fondant?

On my BC cakes, I use a skewer and eyeball it to make the pattern.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 10

take a sheet of overhead transparency or any other similar acetate/plastic material (like the those plastic covers for term papers)

cut a square from it that is about 6 x 6 inches

now cut the square on the diagonal --

viola' -- a flexible template to mold to side of cake to guide the quilting tool that will give a 45 degree angle for the diamond pattern. with the right spacing they'll look like squares turned on point.

what's that you say - you want taller, narrower diamonds.

no problem -- the Pythagorean theorem to the rescue.

again, start with the same material as before....

cut so one side will be a full 8 inches long, the other a full 6 inches. then split on the diagonal. this gives a 10 inch long diagonal and the 30/60/90 combination to the interior angles.

put it against the cake so the 8 is upright and 6 is touching board for tall narrow diamonds.

lay it over so 6 is upright and 10 is touching the board for wide short diamonds

---

final hint.

PREMEASURE just how far apart you want each line to start...this is where one of those cake divider mats comes in VERY handy.

the closer the lines, the smaller the diamonds (and oh the pain in the hand from doing all that tracing)

the farther apart the lines, the larger the diamonds.

you may want to take a cake pan or cake dummy and wrap it with a piece of paper and try out a few different spacings to get the diamond pattern you really like.

TTran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TTran Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 10

Wilton sells a set of square cookie cutters (or fondant cutters...I can't remember which). You can turn the size you need 1/2 a turn and voila' you have a diamond. Press it gently into the icing and it makes a diamond pattern. Thats how I made the diamond pattern on the princess cake in my photos.

If you are using it for BC, make sure to dust in powdered sugar first.

Good luck!!!

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #7 of 10

LOL Doug. I always hated math so I'm thankful for people like you!

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 10

Doug to the rescue, once again!!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #9 of 10

I can tell ya, he wasn't next to me in math class! Or I'd have gotten better grades! icon_lol.gif
Thanks for the lesson Doug!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:05am
post #10 of 10

the 6/8/10 is an OLD trick based on the Pythagorean theorem -- used by carpenters everywhere.

it's the fastest way to check for / get something square when you can't measure the full diagonal in both directions.

just make a mark at some multiple of 3 on one side.
then a mark on the adjoining side at the same multiple of 4
then measure between the marks while adjusting -- when you get the same multiple of 5 -- it's square.

so if measure 3 / 4 -- should get 5
if 6 / 8 -- then 10
9 / 12 should be 15
and so on.....

----
OH and you'd only want me next to you in Geometry!!!! -- the only math class I really understood! let's just say my Algebra, Trig and Calc teachers all just shook there heads in dismay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%