Technique To Getting Perfect Rounds

Decorating By FlourPots Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm by sugarshack

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:39am
post #1 of 32

I basically know how people get such perfect squares with sharp corners...can't say that mine are up to par yet, but I've read alot about how it's done.

I would love to learn how to make rounds that when decorated look just like dummies. It's not about having to be perfect, I just REALLY dig the look. Pink Cake Box comes to mind...their tiered rounds always look fake to me (although I know they're not), and I could stare at them all day...they're beautiful even when decorated so simply. Of course, there are many, many examples here at CC of dummy looking cakes (boy, that doesn't sound like a compliment, I know)

I assume leveling (correctly) would be essential...any other tips? Maybe using certain pans? I also saw Sharon's video clip (on youtube, I think) where she trims around the perimeter of the cake...do alot of you do that?

31 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #2 of 32

I've heard that Sharon's DVD is the way to go!! I still want to get it as I'm not fantastic with buttercream. I think it just takes a lot of practice.

I like to use a spatula, dipped in hot water, and then dried off to remove the excess buttercream. Sometimes I use the VIVA method to smooth it out.

I have wanted to try the Melvira Method. If you go to the CC homepage and go down thru the tutorials, you will see her method.

I've also watched Edna's video's on U-tube and her cakes are amazing. I really think it just takes lots and lots of practice.

And that's why I like fondant. =O)

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 32

Use a dense cake for sure. Sugarshack shares her recipes on her blog. Then just get nitpicky trimming until its perfect.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:40am
post #4 of 32

apply the icing thick ... use a bench scraper to remove the excess. A bench scraper is great because you set the short end of the blade on the turntable and the long side of the blade against the cake....a perfect 90 degree angle. As you spin the turntable, you get a perfectly straight sided cake. I let it sit for 3-5 minutes, then Melvira it.
-----------------
edited to correct a typo

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 32

I have a question about using a bench scraper. My sis and I were shopping one day and I picked up a run of the mill bench scraper. She gasped, asked what I was going to use it for and when I told her, she said "well, that's not food grade right?". I didn't know.

So my question is, where do you find a good, food grade bench scraper? Can I just use any old scraper from Home Depot?

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 32

are you sure you're looking at a bench scraper and not a putty knife or a spackling tool?

here's a bench scraper ... also called a dough cutter: http://oxo.kitchen-hills.com/Bench-Scraper-Soft-grip-B00020BTU8.htm
They are designed and made to be used in the kitchen.

FlourPots Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:38am
post #7 of 32

Thanks all.
So there's no preferred pan?

That's why I like fondant also...it's more forgiving. Smoothing BC looked easier than it turned out to be, for me. I had better success with ganache and a hot spatula.

I swear I'm getting that darn foam roller...I've been planning to, since I joined CC.

indydebi...thanks for that link...I thought you were talking about a putty knife/spackling type deal...that's what I pictured in my head when I read your first response.

indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:46am
post #8 of 32

preferred pan .... I like Magic Line. They are must heavier than the wilton pans and the sides are straight (wilton's are angled).

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #9 of 32

Does anyone have the link for Sharon's YouTube video? Thanks.

FlourPots Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:08am
post #10 of 32

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sugaredproductions&search_type=&aq=f

It's been so long...I see she's added another one. They're really only clips to show you examples of what's on her DVD's.

(Except "making a batch of buttercream icing"...that's in its entirety, I believe)

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #11 of 32

Thanks so much, Flourpots.

FlourPots Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:15am
post #12 of 32

You're welcome icon_smile.gif .

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:34am
post #13 of 32

i only trim the cakes when I am doing fondant. I prefer magic line pans the BEST also and i like my bench scraper best too! LOL. of course I do, that is why i use it, and its made for food. lol.

with BC, I really feel the recipe and the consistency has a lot to do with how dummy-like you can get your cakes. The stiffer you can make the BC and still work with it, the sharper edges and tops you will get.

HTH a little.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:05am
post #14 of 32

Get sugarshack's buttercream dvd. you won't regret it. My cakes have improved drastically since I bought it. And yes practice makes a difference & the consistency of your icing does too. If it is too stiff it'll show more imperfections.

(Sugarshack I'm waiting for a dvd on how to ice sheet cakes. Those tops are a pain in the "you know what" to get smooth. I would rather do 10 rounds than 1 sheet!)

Sorry for that hijack

FlourPots Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:30am
post #15 of 32

I absolutely intend to get the DVD's...can't wait.

Sharon...just wondering why you only trim for fondant covered cakes?
Also...love your latest blog entry...that large ganached cake looks downright sleek. It's really enviable.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 10:50am
post #16 of 32
CakeMakar Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:43pm
post #17 of 32

You know I was so excited to try Fat Daddio pans. I think it may have been the name and that they sell for great prices on eBay. I saw some at the cake shop a little further away when I took a special trip for fondant. As soon as I picked it up, I knew I'd never buy one. They just don't have the heft, the sharp straight corners (90 degrees!) as the Magic Line....I was really disappointed.
I'm slowly trading my set to "professional" pans...sadly, they won't be Fat Daddio's. icon_sad.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #18 of 32

Where can we find the link for Sharon's blog entry? Thanks

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:00pm
post #19 of 32

The link to sharon's blog is:
http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/

I swear i go to it every day! I have it on my address bar links and it's #2 of sites i go to. She offers so much information it's unbelievalbe! Go to it you will love it.

Chris thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #20 of 32

Thanks, I have the worse time with getting ganache right to pour over the cake .

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:32pm
post #21 of 32

I have seen some fondant smoothers on Global Sugar Art that are made for making sharp edges. They have a couple different ones.....rounded, sharp, sharper and sharpest..........Im not sure if they work though. I've been wanting to buy one for a while now but I'd hate to waste money on something that will end up in my kids play doh box.

Has anyone used these before? Worth the money?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 32

CakeMakar, I too had the same thoughts as you about Fat Daddios not having the sharp edges until I used one. I was needing a 9x13 & my local cake shop had 40% off FD & no time to place an order---needless to say I bought it. I was totally shocked at the outcome. The corners were sharper than I imagined & icing it will make the biggest difference. I do have ML as well & I can't say I was so displeased w/ FD that I'll never buy another. So, if you can find one on sale (even if its a small one) you should give it a go & make a decision after that. I could be wrong, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised icon_wink.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:32pm
post #23 of 32

Oh Im also a big fan of Sharons Blog I check it a few times a day Its awesome !
Thanks Sharon!

sugarshack Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

I absolutely intend to get the DVD's...can't wait.

Sharon...just wondering why you only trim for fondant covered cakes?
Also...love your latest blog entry...that large ganached cake looks downright sleek. It's really enviable.

becasue I only crumbcaot my fondnat cakes, so whatever the cake looks like under the fondnat is what your finished cake looks like. so i trim them to get them super straight and even on the sides. on a BC cake, it is not necessary because you even out the sides with BC

you giys MUST try a doberge; they are yummy, but do NOT start with a 15 incher..ROFL

There may be a sheet cake DVD in the works next year!

FlourPots Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:08am
post #25 of 32

I see...makes total sense.

That doberge (your version) is already on my ever-growing list of recipes to try.

CakeMakar Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

CakeMakar, I too had the same thoughts as you about Fat Daddios not having the sharp edges until I used one. I was needing a 9x13 & my local cake shop had 40% off FD & no time to place an order---needless to say I bought it. I was totally shocked at the outcome. The corners were sharper than I imagined & icing it will make the biggest difference. I do have ML as well & I can't say I was so displeased w/ FD that I'll never buy another. So, if you can find one on sale (even if its a small one) you should give it a go & make a decision after that. I could be wrong, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised icon_wink.gif

Ok...if I find one on sale, I will give it a chance. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:49am
post #27 of 32

the trick to pouring ganche is #1) not to burn or overheat you cream and 2) being patient and wait for the ganache to reach the right pouring temp. if you do it too soon it will all just run off the cake, and if you wait too long it will harden too fast and clump on the sides as it is running down. i messed up the first several i did. but guess what? if you mess up, scrape it off, repair and rechill your cake, make more ganache and do it again!

Hey I am so glad you guys like the blog. it is hard to tell how many readers I have and if anyone likes it! LOL so good to hear you guys are enjoying it, thank you!

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:33pm
post #28 of 32

CakeMakar - I'm surprised at (but respect) your answer icon_smile.gif I do not bake nearly as much as I'd love to - just not enough occassions LOL so I am a novice - perhaps that's the difference in our opinions? I gotta say I really love the removable concept - I use it for cakes, brownies, candies... and am assured at NEVER having the bottom(top) of a cake stick, as I can slide my slicer wire right up under that removable piece and voila!

I also came into a few (3) Magic Line squares at a rummage sale (!!!!!) and I adore those crisp lines!

Happy bakin', y'all !

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #29 of 32

ARE YOU KIDDING SHARON.....i can't even begin to count how many times my dad has caught me at work jotting notes down, looking at tutorials, doing anything but work and where am I at?....the blog! I love it. It's like my second bible! When I got the design gallery DVD I couldn't wait to get home so I popped it in here, thank goodness it came on a Saturday when it's just me and my younger brother. He did question why the package was open when we got home though?

Seriously a HUGE Thank You for what you do!

Chris

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 3:44pm
post #30 of 32

Well I must say that Sharon's Fauxberge Chocolate Cake..Turned out beautiful in the end.
I would also love to see a sheet cake DVD sometime, Around here people are so hooked on them Its hard to get anyone to try anything different , I just had to do a wilton shaped pan , not my choice but if they want to pay for it I will make it .
I just think I could of gave them so much more for the money But thats what they wanted !
Keep up the great Blog Sharon, its so fun and full of info to !
I did have to laugh when You posted about your son running around the house after he opened his Christmas gift ! he he!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%