Smbc/imbc- Has Anyone Tried This?

Baking By Lenette Updated 18 Jan 2009 , 6:16am by sayhellojana

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 17

This may sound a little strange but as I was prepping fillings for a consult I wondered about adding the flavored creamers to SMBC.

I also wondered about whipping chocolate pudding into it.

I know adding too much stuff can make it separate. Has anyone tried either one of these? If so, how were your results? Can you think of any reason why this would not work?

If no one has tried it I may experiment a bit over the weekend. icon_rolleyes.gif

Give me your thoughts on this one! icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 17

I'd be interested to read about your results.

Personally, if I'm putting the time and money into the great ingredients one needs for a meringue buttercream, I'm not looking to add modern eating through chemistry "creamer" (or boxed pudding) into the mix, KWIM?

Lenette Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 17

Yeah, I totally know what you mean and I am thinking about that too. I was just brainstorming about adding more filling options and it crossed my mind.

I just figured I would ask, you never know what the response may be.

Plus I never have gotten a good, rich, chocolatey flavor to my SMBC so that is always something I am trying to figure out. Adding melted chocolate isn't enough for me, I tried chocolate extract and that didn't hit the spot either. So, I thought about the pudding.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 17

Lenette, did you try to use really dark high cocoa percentage chocolate? I would imagine if you used really good quality chocolate you would get a better result than pudding. Or maybe you did not add enough - there is no such thing as adding too much chocolate!

Lenette Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 17

I used Ghirardelli (sp?) either bittersweet or semi-sweet can't remember.

It seemed like it would be good if it was more chocolate-y. I think I added 4 oz to the entire batch of SMBC. Maybe that wasn't enough?

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #6 of 17

I haven't tried creamer but the options for adding things are endless. Here's some options:

2oz melted and cooled chocolate or white chocolate to 1 cup IMBC
1/4 C fruit puree (including passion fruit concentrate) to 1 Cup
1/4 C lemon curd (or any curd) to 1 cup
2TBS liquor to 1 cup
8oz softened cream cheese to 8 cups (1 recipe IMBC)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 17

definitely not enough. How big is your recipe? Add more.. a good way to do it is to make a ganache and just add that in until it tastes good. This way you don't have to worry about the temp of the chocolate making the smbc so soft it collapses. You can add a lot more than you think. icon_smile.gif

Lenette Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #8 of 17

I am definitely game to add more chocolate! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The recipe I use makes quite a bit, uses 8 egg whites and 12 oz butter.

From reading ladyonzlake's post I need to me more aggressive with the additions. I was always worried that it would separate and not be work-able.

Thank you all for taking to time to offer your insight! icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:42am
post #9 of 17

If it does separate just add a bit more butter, it'll come back together. My recipe has 12 egg whites and 6 sticks of butter.

I have this recipe for Mocha Chocolate but I haven't tried it yet:
1/2 cup dark Dutch cocoa, 65 oz unsweetened chocolate, 2 TBS coffee crystals dissolved in just enough hot water to make a thin paste.

Maybe you could tweak this for your dark chocolate IMBC?

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:47am
post #10 of 17

for a really chocolatey imbc, make a 1 to 1 ganache with 70 percent cocoa solids chocolate Let it cool overnight and add it 1 to 1 to your imbc.

work every time and is super delicious.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:54am
post #11 of 17

Maybe a silly question, but does the SMBC/IMBC crust? Does it smooth easily?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:58am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

I used Ghirardelli (sp?) either bittersweet or semi-sweet can't remember.

It seemed like it would be good if it was more chocolate-y. I think I added 4 oz to the entire batch of SMBC. Maybe that wasn't enough?

I use IMBC. To make chocolate, I add a 2 ramakins full of melted and cooled bittersweet chocolate (I'd say thats about 6 oz) and several tablespoons of cocoa powder - probably 3 to 5. I do it to taste, but it always comes out delicious and very chocolatey! I don't think many people use both melted choc and cocoa powder, so that is an idea.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:31am
post #13 of 17

I sometimes use the flvorings to make flavored coffee. I know that sounds strange LOLOL. Not the coffee creamers, the actual oils that are used to make flvored coffee. Sams carry a few flavors. They are really intense.

Mike

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:12am
post #14 of 17

I just started to do about a 1:1 ratio of 70% ganache to SMBC too.. it's very good.. like chocolate mousse.

Even fruit purees and curds you can add quite a bit.. especially since they will be fillings.. you don't have to worry if it's a little soft.

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:40am
post #15 of 17

No they do not crust.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 17 Jan 2009 , 4:15am
post #16 of 17

I have been so afraid to try this type of icing because it sounds so hard to put together but the possibilities interest me.

Maybe this week end I should use my family as practice customers!!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 18 Jan 2009 , 6:16am
post #17 of 17

Do try it! I use "Classic Vanilla Buttercream" from the food network - it's a great recipe and very, very awesome texture. Just take your time making it and it will turn out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%