Amazing Cake Competition In North Florida!!!

Decorating By cake_o_rama Updated 6 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm by Yuni

cake_o_rama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_o_rama Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 77

I am a cake central long timer, but this is a new username for me.

Let's Eat Cake is a cake competition for Pros and amateurs. It has amazing prizes, but even better than that is that all the proceeds go to St Jude Children's Hospital!

I will be competing and I hope that any of you in North Florida and South Georgia that are interested will join me! You can get information at the website www.letseatcakefundraiser.com

If you have any questions please send me a PM. Also, if you do enter, PM me. I'm trying to keep track of the response from CC. I know there are a ton of talented decorators in this area and we need your help to make this a success. The more bakers the better!

76 replies
Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 77

Will it be open to the public?
Thanks, P

cake_o_rama Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 77

I believe that it is open to the public, but I think there is an entry fee. I'll check on it and let you know for sure.

There is also a cake auction, bakers can provide a small cake for the public to bid on. The winning bid gets the cake. Everyone entering is encouraged to donate a cake to the auction, but it's not required.

fb_cake_diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fb_cake_diva Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 77

I live in Fernandina Beach (north of Jacksonville) and would love more info. Where and when is the event being held? Thanks for letting us know about this.

cake_o_rama Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 77

It's being held in Gainesville at the Paramount Plaza Hotel. I am so excited about this and I hope lots of you enter!

You can find all the information you need at the website I posted in the first post in the thread. All of the rules and regulations can be found by clicking of the forms tab.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 77

i think what this company is doing is a great way to help St Jude Children's Hospital! but not only that it give us backers a reason to make a cake.......

I went to the site and it took me a while to find the date of the event...... but for anyone wanting to kno the

Event date is Febuary 17 @6:pm @ Gainesville, FL

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 77

i think what this company is doing is a great way to help St Jude Children's Hospital! but not only that it give us backers a reason to make a cake.......

I went to the site and it took me a while to find the date of the event...... but for anyone wanting to kno the

Event date is Febuary 17 @6:pm @ Gainesville, FL

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 77

I live just North of Jax and would love to know the date of the event. I went to the website link and could not find the actual date, only that it is in Feb..

Thanks,

cake_o_rama Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 77

Oh... I guess posting the date would have been helpful! Thanks.

I know the biggest prize is all the money going to charity, but check out the list of prizes for the winners http://letseatcakefundraiser.blogspot.com/search/label/Prizes

It even includes a year supply of Satin Ice!!!

cake_o_rama Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 3:13am
post #10 of 77

So... does anyone think they might do it? I'm just so excited about this event. I really want it to be great!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:18am
post #11 of 77

There is a $100 dollar fee to enter this competition..
Edna

cake_o_rama Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 5:37am
post #12 of 77

For Pros it's $100, for amateurs it's $25. That money goes to St. Jude Children's Hospital. Melissa and Masterpiece Weddings aren't making a dime from this.

I'm in no way wealthy, but the $100 is for a great cause, so I'm in.

cake_o_rama Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 77

I'm a little bummed! I thought there would be a bigger response for this. I know there are a lot of CC members in South GA, and North and Central FL.
There are already decorators coming all the way from West Palm beach for this.

There aren't many competitions in this area and this one is for such a great cause. St Jude's is an amazing hospital. Not only do you get to make a cake, which I know you love to do, but you get to help sick kids and their families.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_o_rama

I'm a little bummed! I thought there would be a bigger response for this. I know there are a lot of CC members in South GA, and North and Central FL.
There are already decorators coming all the way from West Palm beach for this.

There aren't many competitions in this area and this one is for such a great cause. St Jude's is an amazing hospital. Not only do you get to make a cake, which I know you love to do, but you get to help sick kids and their families.

cake_o_rama, don't get so bummed. This is kind of a last minute notice. Maybe there just isn't enough time or they are already booked for that week.

irishlindaone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishlindaone Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 77

I live in Jacksdonville and this is the first that I have heard about this.
Was it advertised locally?

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #16 of 77

I live in Jacksonville, and this is the first I've heard of the competition also. I will definitely check into it. It might be a little difficult for me to participate since it's being held on a weekday. I have three school age children at home so I'm not sure I can swing it. However, it's great there is finally a competition close to home and for a worthwhile cause.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 77

irishlindaone and metrocakes,

No, this was not advertised in Jax. A member of our Jacksonville yahoo group let us know about it. The event will be held in Gainesville. Check out the link in the original post.

Also, if you are interested in getting together with other Jax sugar artists there is a local guild. Here is the link:

www.sagnfl.com

The Jax yahoo group is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/decoratingfloridawithicing/

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #18 of 77

Thanks for the info!!! icon_smile.gif

cake_o_rama Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #19 of 77

Hi guys... sorry for the late response. I had a bridal show today. I know it was in the FL ICES newsletter a few months ago. I guess a lot of people missed it. I hope some of you can make it. I'd love to meet some CCrs!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:02am
post #20 of 77

I want to enter this so badly!!! I just don't know if I will have the time to do it!! I will be in disney the weekend before - booked and confirmed! ARGGGGGGHHHH!!!! I have always wanted to enter a competition and never had the chance! this is KILLING me!!

mommarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommarivera Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 4:21am
post #21 of 77

I wish I lived closer!! I am in southwest Fl and my 16 yr old daughter is a cancer survivor!!She has been in remission for 51/2 yrs!!! I would have loved to do this!! Maybe next time!!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #22 of 77

Does the registration form have to be recieved by tomorrow, or mailed? Thanks!

cake_o_rama Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #23 of 77

The deadline has been moved to the end of the month. If you have any other questions, just let me know. Also I can pm you Melissa's email address if you need it, also Melissa answers questions posted on the blog you can find it at the top of the blog www.letseatcakefundraiser.blogspot.com

cake_o_rama Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:21pm
post #24 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommarivera

I wish I lived closer!! I am in southwest Fl and my 16 yr old daughter is a cancer survivor!!She has been in remission for 51/2 yrs!!! I would have loved to do this!! Maybe next time!!

I hope enough people will participate this year to turn it into an annual event.

I'm glad to hear the good news about your daughter. Maybe this would be something you both could do together next time. thumbs_up.gif

janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:28pm
post #25 of 77

Well thank goodness the entry date has been moved!!!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:37pm
post #26 of 77

This sounds completely awesome! I can't wait to go. Thanks for posting this wonderful information.

janelwaters Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #27 of 77

where it says "type of cake being submitted" - is that for the tasting part of the judging?

What if we cannot donate a cake for the auction?? as in - I have absolutely no time to make another cake, I will just be getting home for a week away the day before the contest....... Is not donating a cake going to count against us? I feel bad that I can't I just don't see any way possible to decorate a cake in less than a day.

cake_o_rama Posted 16 Jan 2009 , 10:50pm
post #28 of 77

No you do NOT have to do a cake for the auction. It will not count against you in any way. It's just another part of the event to help raise more money. No worries. thumbs_up.gif

DenaBear07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DenaBear07 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 10:16pm
post #29 of 77

I'm thinking about donating a couple of cakes for the auction (I don't think I'm good enough for the competition) but I am sooooo busy with school. Organic chemistry and cake decorating apparently don't mix!! I am going to try and make it though....a long drive, too!

cake_o_rama Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #30 of 77

I see there have been more bakers signing up for Lets Eat Cake! Are any you on CC participating? I'd love to meet up with you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%