Party Cake Cutting Guide Picture

Decorating By kr1970 Updated 20 Jun 2013 , 5:17pm by Sweet Blessings

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 29

Does anyone have a diagram of how to cut an 8in party cake? Wilton only shows the wedding cake diagram and i have a lady who wants a picture???

28 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 29

How many servings is it? When I look at the Wilton site it only says to cut the pieces 1-1/2" wide and doesn't give a count. I can make you a cutting diagram fast if you post how many servings it is...here is one for 16
LL

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 29

That's a nice little chart. What program did you make it in? If you don't mind my asking..

Thanks!!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 29

I wish there were tools were you could just place it on top of the cake, press down and there you go... a nice and evenly cut cake on the first try!

kr1970 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 29

Wilton says party size slices are 1 1/2 by 2 and that a 8in round serves 20. Since i know it's a chart people can easily find online and Wilton is a big company it's what i go by but, i always point out the size of slices and tell people if they want larger slices to order more cake but i still have people upset??? What do you do? However it would help if they would od diagrams for the party cakes as well as wedding. Thanks for your suggestions. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 29

Here is indydebi's cutting guide and I believe her servings are 20 for an 8" round as well.....so maybe this will help? Indydebi also doesn't mind you posting a link to her site or giving it to your customers as long as you let her know that you're doing it!

kr1970 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 29

khalsted- sorry i can't see that link- but thank you so much

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-Ding

I wish there were tools were you could just place it on top of the cake, press down and there you go... a nice and evenly cut cake on the first try!

There is! I remember someone posting a link to a do-dad that marked out (sheet) cakes into perfect servings so you could just cut away evenly- there's no reason why a grid marker like that couldn't be used on any shape cake if you use Indy's method of cutting (which I now swear by!).

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #9 of 29

there are tools that do that wing ding. i saw them on amazon.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 29

Here is debi's link.

http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

HTH

Judi

Toptier Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #11 of 29

Cylstrial - I used Excel's pie graph to make that picture. I've been playing around with it a lot but haven't perfected it yet. I make the chart and then cut and paste it into a graphic program to make a .jpg

I love Indydebi's method of cutting too but I wish there were diagrams to go with it (for round cakes)! People are very visual and it helps to actually give them a picture. Lately I've just sketched by hand a cutting diagram but that's not really professional so I've been playing around with different programs. If/when I get more adept at it I will post some in the templates section. The topsy turvy cakes are killers when figuring out how to cut them.

I think that people will always complain about the size of pieces. I definitely have people order smaller cakes b/c they're cheaper, hoping to stretch them to serve more people. I just try to CMA by telling them and showing them the size of the serving! Then, it's their problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 29

Here are some cake markers/dividers for round cakes:
http://www.bakedeco.com/dept.asp?id=816

Press-cake dividers for sheet cakes:
http://www.confectioneryhouse.com/home.php?cat=337&js=y

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1970

..... i always point out the size of slices and tell people if they want larger slices to order more cake but i still have people upset???

If the chart says "serves 24", I tell them "this will serve 20-24, depending on how you cut it." Then I explain the "cut it in 2" strips, then each strip into 1" pieces" system. I tell them, "It's about the size of a folded over peanut butter sandwich." At that point, I suggest that ".... if your family is like mine, and you cut them larger than the industry standard serving size, then you might think about getting a larger cake ...."

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 12:06am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptier

I love Indydebi's method of cutting too but I wish there were diagrams to go with it (for round cakes)!

I'll try to attached the actual drawing I did (that doesn't show up very well on the website). It's a partial, but it applies to all round cakes. Basically tell them to cut the cake into 2" strips ..... an 8" cake will have 4 strips .... a 10" cake will have 5 strips, etc. They can easily follow the photos on my How to Cut a Wedding Cake page.
LL

cylstrial Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 1:48pm
post #14 of 29

Thanks TopTier. I will try to play with Excel and see if I can still make a piechart. =o)

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:43pm
post #15 of 29

I'm attaching the charts that I'm going to use. Maybe these will be helpful to others. I did them in AutoCad, as my previous career was in residential design and drafting until the economy went south.

HTH!
Angie

Toptier Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 29

Awesome, Angie! Love those charts, gotta get me some AutoCad (but mucho $$ right). Can you post them in the templates section of the gallery? Thank you SO much.

Laurie

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:39pm
post #17 of 29

Lexi55033 -- those are amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

And I think Toptier is right.. other people would love to have those in their favorites! You should definitely put them in the gallery!

cylstrial Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:42pm
post #18 of 29

Lexi55033 --- Just one more question about the amazing charts you just posted! Do those charts follow the Wilton or Earlene or anyone else? Or are they something you just made up because they are a good size?

Thank you so much!!!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi55033

I'm attaching the charts that I'm going to use. Maybe these will be helpful to others. I did them in AutoCad, as my previous career was in residential design and drafting until the economy went south.

HTH!
Angie

thumbs_up.gif thank you, thank you, THANK YOU thumbs_up.gif !

lexi55033 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #20 of 29

Those are ones that I just made up, but basically follow IndyDebi's cutting guide and standard wedding cake sizes. For the party cake sizes I just made 2 sizes because some people like smaller pieces and some like bigger, so I figured I'd cover both. That way, you can tell people that a 10" round feeds X-X people and give them a range based on how big they want the pieces following the charts. Make sense?

I'll post the charts to the template section later this afternoon. I have to leave in about 5 minutes.

Glad you like it!
Angie
(Lexi55033)

lexi55033 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #21 of 29

I just uploaded the charts to the Templates Gallery. Feel free to use them however you see fit. I created them about a month ago when I had a few spare minutes. In the future, I'd like to create a more graphically appealing flyer with them on, but for now this works.

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:57pm
post #22 of 29

Thanks for sharing! It's so much easier to show someone, rather than describing how to cute a round cake the way Indydebi suggest.

cylstrial Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #23 of 29

Thanks for answering my question about which serving chart your charts follow!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:24pm
post #24 of 29

Thanks lexi5503---this will come in handy.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #25 of 29

angie, those are absolutely invaluable, and i want to thank you for taking the extra time putting that together..you just made my life so much easier!! hoppin over to the template galleries to save that, for sure!!

Sweet Blessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Blessings Posted 10 May 2013 , 6:09pm
post #26 of 29

OK, I just don't understand these wedding cake serving guides. I know I am short-changing myself as the baker but I don't go by Wilton's TINY standard piece. If a box cake mix says it makes 12 servings and it fits perfectly in an 8" two layer why would Wilton say an 8" layer cake serves SO many more than that? I use the standard of an 8" serves 15, 10" serves 30, 12" serves 45, 14" serves 60 and 16" serves 90 for my cakes (double layer). People usually do have some left over and they LOVE that. If it is a wedding cake I tell the bride that my cake will serve all the people at her wedding if they tell the cake cutters to cut "big party size pieces". I personally hate going to weddings and getting a tiny little bite size piece of cake.

But I think I will use the tip someone gave of printing out a cake cutting guide and leaving it on the cake table for the cutters to follow. Thanks for the idea!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 May 2013 , 5:22am
post #27 of 29

My standard 2 layer 8 in round recipe makes exactly 24 cupcakes. That's how come I know that my 8 in round has 24 servings. Now since I like tall tiers, I use slightly more batter in my tiered cakes vs cupcakes so I know those suckers have more than the standard serving amounts of cake in them. 

JPinBklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPinBklyn Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 8:46pm
post #28 of 29

Ateco makes a great cake marker, only $6.00 and they come in different sizes.

I use it often and love this thing!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M5QP7Q/?tag=cakecentral-20+marker

Sweet Blessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet Blessings Posted 20 Jun 2013 , 5:17pm
post #29 of 29

My standard batter for an 8" double layer cake (or a standard box cake mix for that matter) makes 16-18 cupcakes for me (I do use a larger size liner, not the 'standard' cupcake liners). So that tells me I an pretty spot on for telling my customers my 8" 2 layer round cake will serve at least 15 (plus a little left over). That's a great way to figure this out. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%