What Is The Best Way To Store Fondant / Sugarpaste?

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 11 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm by cupcakemkr

hailinguk Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 13

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie and am so glad I found this site!

I just wondered if anyone knows the best way to store fondant / sugarpaste / gumpaste?

I bought some white fondant yesterday and coloured it at home but didn't use it all. I wrapped the remaining fondant well in cling film and when I opened it today it was dry to the touch all the way around. I had to peel the top layer off to get to the soft bit inside!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

12 replies
bashini Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 10:33am
post #2 of 13

Hi, welcome to CC. You have to wrap it well and store in an airtight box.

HTH.

hailinguk Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 11:14am
post #3 of 13

Perfect, thanks bashini x

CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 13

I've just started working with fondant and had the same issue, and read somewhere that you should coat the fondant with shortening, then wrap it in cling wrap and then put it in an airtight container. Is that overkill?

CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 13

I've just started working with fondant and had the same issue, and read somewhere that you should coat the fondant with shortening, then wrap it in cling wrap and then put it in an airtight container. Is that overkill?

CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 13

CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 13

cupcakemkr Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 13

With my satin ice, i use what i need then wrap up the remaining - still in tis original plastic and then flip it over in the bucket and put the lid on making sure that i press air out of the container (burp it icon_smile.gif ).

For my mmf I slather it in crisco, wrap it 2x in saran wrap then into a baggie that i press all of the air out of.

CookieMeister Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 13

***OOOPS**** my computer froze up and I ended up double-posting. icon_cool.gif

tracycakes Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 13

Ditto cupcakemkr. I used to wrap in cling wrap (Saran or Glad) but then I started getting the food bags that are just not ziploc, just open bags. I slather in shortening, put in a bag and twist it up tight. Then, I can take all of my bags of different colors and put them in a ziploc bag. Then I store the bags in my Satin Ice container and it last for months. When I've used red or black and got some left over, I definitely don't want to throw it out. I've stored it for months that way.

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 13

Does mmf need to be refrigerated? (or satin ice?)

Lisa

bashini Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 13

Hi, I have stored my MMF in the fridge, but not the normal fondant. icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #13 of 13

mmf does not need to be refrigerated, do you refrigerate your marshmellows?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%