B-Day For Uncle W/ Terminal Cancer

Decorating By sarahokie Updated 13 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm by texasbelle

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 10

My aunt is having a surprise birthday party for my uncle who has cancer. He has recently decided to not continue with chemo, so this will likely be his last. I have volunteered to do the cake but am at a loss of what to do. I'd like to do something sentimental but don't want it to have a we know this is the last kind of feel if you know what I mean. Any ideas? Thanks

9 replies
cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:07am
post #2 of 10

How about a picture cake with one from when he was younger and a more recent picture then decorate it with the things he likes to do. Or a stacked one and put pictures of the family with him. Find the funny potos. I think it will make him laugh or smile. icon_lol.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 1:29am
post #3 of 10

This past summer I had the same issue. I made a birthday cake for my Great Aunt who was terminally ill and in the hospital.

In the end I decided to do the exact kind of cake I would have done for her if she wasn't terminally ill. She loved flowers so that's what I did.

Remember that whatever you decided to make your Uncle will be pleased that you thought of him and the effort you took to make and decorate a cake with love.

Sending warm thoughts to you and your family.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 10

Agree with punkinpie ... do it like a "normal" birthday. I was in the same spot..... my sister was diagnosed with incurable cancer and every birthday was "probably" her last one. But I made each cake with something she loved ... nothing gushy or sentimental. My sister was mentally handicapped (she was in her 40's, but mentally just 10) so her cakes were always fun and cartoony!

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 10

I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. My prayers go out to you and your family. My mother has cancer and is putting up one heck of a battle.

When my father passed away, the funeral home asked if we wanted a "memory board" on display during visitation hours. We collected pictures of my father . . . him old, him young, funny pictures, while in the Navy, at his wedding, with us as children, with his grandchildren. He would have loved that collection of photos. I think your uncle would enjoy a collection of photos that document his life - appropriate for any birthday.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 4:00am
post #6 of 10

Yep do it like nothing is going on... but do it really kick-ass!

sarahokie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahokie Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 10

Thank you all for your great ideas. I was thinking of the road of life cake but may have to change to a simpler design. The idea of pictures is great! My uncle went on hospice this week and my aunt is understandably very depressed. Anyway in my original idea I would have needed input and memories from her to incorporate. She is not really up to this and has pretty much delegated the party planning to my mom and another aunt. With the picture idea for the cake I can get by mostly with just pics my mom has. Thanks again (sorry if I rambled)

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:43am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahokie

Thank you all for your great ideas. I was thinking of the road of life cake but may have to change to a simpler design. The idea of pictures is great! My uncle went on hospice this week and my aunt is understandably very depressed. Anyway in my original idea I would have needed input and memories from her to incorporate. She is not really up to this and has pretty much delegated the party planning to my mom and another aunt. With the picture idea for the cake I can get by mostly with just pics my mom has. Thanks again (sorry if I rambled)

You didn't ramble. We're here to offer support and help one another however we can.

Be sure to post the cake when it's completed.

Jan

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 11:51am
post #9 of 10

I am not so certain about a "road of life cake" as the final birthday cake sarahokie. It seems so final and what would the last picture be? I think, as others have said, picking out favorites is a wonderful idea. Losing someone is very difficult and this birthday needs to be as uplifting as possible, for everyone.

My best to you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

texasbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasbelle Posted 13 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 10

My husband is an oncologist so life it our house is all about the cancer patient. I've recently just stopped working in our office to stay home full time and also have more time for cakes! But the one of the most important things I learned from all of our patients is they do not want you to focus on them being sick. They want to be treated like normal. With that knowledge I would do a "normal" cake, but blow it out of the ball park!

Most of these patients are truly just greatful for every single moment they have and your cake no matter what you do will be no exception. I'm doing a cake later this week for one of our patients (a 32 y/o mom) because she was out of the country on her birthday getting treatment and missed her birthday. So we are surprising her with it Saturday!

I hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%