Question For The Box Cake Mix Users

Decorating By lolobell Updated 23 Feb 2009 , 12:32am by sweettreats36

Cherie206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherie206 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:08pm
post #31 of 39

Personally, I use only Duncan Hines. I never Pillsbury. Sometimes I do use Betty Crocker. I find the taste and texture of Duncan Hines the best. I also do not use the mix as is from the box. I am always adding things, depending on what flavor I am making. I like to bos mixes as it's a time saver and can get them at Super Target for .99 each! No one person has mentioned that they thought it was a box mix....maybe because I add tooo.

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #32 of 39

I actually mix them. Someone suggested that to me a long time ago..to get the best attributes of each brand and so that's what I do. And, I buy under a buck. None of this $1.69 nonsense!!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeather

I actually mix them. Someone suggested that to me a long time ago..to get the best attributes of each brand and so that's what I do. And, I buy under a buck. None of this $1.69 nonsense!!

Ya mean you actuall mix the BC, Pills & DH white cake mixes together and then bake?

SweetHeather Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:17am
post #34 of 39

pkinkema, I usually use two DH and one BC or PB. I usually make three mixes at a time.

SweetHeather Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:27am
post #35 of 39

It would be interesting, though, to do a blind taste test on say devils food with DH, BC and PB. And also on the white mix.

peachquilter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachquilter Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 8:50pm
post #36 of 39

I used to use only Duncan Hines since there were dairy free. Then for some stupid reason they changed thier recipe and added it (they have since taken it out--with no reason as to why they added). I boycotted them and sent many letters. I make lots of cakes for my kids schools and it was nice to have something dairy free and nut free that everyone could enjoy.

Now I use Pillsbury and have had lots of success with them.

If I can ever get an answer from Duncan as to why they added and then it back out, I will go back to them. We have no dairy allergies in my family, but I can't serve to other kids without really knowing.

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #37 of 39

I had a BC and a DH in my cupboard. I baked both together on the same night. The BC came out flat and the DH was moist and baked higher. I almost always buy DH and will now change that to ALWAYS buy DH. I've always had good luck with them.

dsimkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsimkovic Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #38 of 39

I had a BC and a DH in my cupboard. I baked both together on the same night. The BC came out flat and the DH was moist and baked higher. I almost always buy DH and will now change that to ALWAYS buy DH. I've always had good luck with them.

sweettreats36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreats36 Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #39 of 39

I perferr BC to any other. This weekend my husband brought back P. I used it and my cakes did not bake the same. I did everything as always. DH, I really just don't like the taste of. Hope this helps a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%