Should I Rebake Or Not???

Decorating By ranbel Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 7:53pm by Beckalita

ranbel Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:48am
post #1 of 4

Last night I baked a sheet cake and I noticed when I took it out of the oven the sides had already pulled away and it was a little burnt (not real bad) on the bottom.
I don't want my cake to be dry. I had this problem last week with a cake being dry.
I told DH we need to check to temp of my oven, because it may be too hot. I bake at 300 and have in the past with no problems...

Do you think I should rebake, the side pulling away from the pan while in the oven, is that a sign that it's overbaked and could prossibly be dry?

Thank you...

3 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 4

my cakes started doing that too and then i figured out what the problem was...I started using buttered flavored pan spray instead of plain. For whatever reason it made the sides of the cake darken up and looked burnt, but they were fine on the inside.

If you are worried about dryness you can always cut the cake and find out, of course you will have to rebake but then you will al least know for sure!

ranbel Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 4

I did rebake. This time I adjusted my oven temp to 275, took forever to bake, but came out better then the first one. I'm sure I need a new stove, this one is probably every bit of 20 plus years old....

I use parchment on the bottom of the pan and regular spray for the side. The only other difference is the pan I used. It's coated. Could that have made the difference? I normally use my wilton or fat daddio pans, but this pan is a little larger than a 1/4 sheet and small than 1/2's actually a roasting pan.

Beckalita Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 4

If you are concerned about the cake being dry, you can always moisten it with some simple syrup (equal parts sugar & water boiled and applied with a pastry brush). I like to add extracts or flavors to my simple syrup to complement the cake flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%