Servings Per Odd-Shaped Cake

Decorating By peacenique Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 5:25am by indydebi

peacenique Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:17am
post #1 of 2

I know there are charts for pricing.
However, I cannot find anything that tells or explains how to know the amount of servings in odd shaped cakes. For example, I have been asked to figure out how much I would charge to make a cake with a basketball as part of it. So, let's say I have pans to make a basketball approximately 8" in diameter. How do you figure out how many servings that would make? They said they might want a cake that will serve 40 people. If part of the cake was that 8" ball (round 3D ball) how do I then figure out...
Oh man, I'm having a hard time finding the words for this one.

I'm so new at this. I made someone a cake that was carved and decorated to look like a man's face with a sombrero. I had NO idea how to figure out such an odd shaped cake. It seems people are beginning to hear about me doing odd shapes and so are calling me.

I'm just so darn lost on how to calculate what size and then how much.

Even though my words are tripping out like a stumble, can anyone sort through my confusion and offer some advice?

Thank you in advance.

Maija

1 reply
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 5:25am
post #2 of 2

As a rule of thumb, I figure 12 servings per cake mix (if you're a scratch baker, then it's per "batch" of about the same size).

So if you have an odd size pan that takes 1 mix, that cake serves 12-ish. If it takes 1.5 mixes, then I can figure it will serve about 18.

Just a general rule of thumb that's worked for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%