Need Help On Business Intro Letter For Event Planners/etc.

Business By robinscakes Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm by dsevans

robinscakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:44am
post #1 of 8

Hi CC'ers! Hope everyone had a great New Year!

I am turning my wheels this January--normally a very slow month for me--trying to come up with some new business strategies for the new year. There are several event planners/caterers/hotels/etc. in the area that I would like to send an introduction letter to, and then follow up with a visit or phone call. The bakery I work at has been in business for over 50 years, but cakes are a relatively new thing for us (within the past 5 years). The cake business has been doubling every year, so that's good, but I'd like to get a jump start on the new year with the economy in such a slump. Can anyone show me an example of their intro letter or tell me what kinds of things you would put in one? I tend to ramble, and I want to keep it short and sweet but contain all the information they would like to read about. Also, how soon after I send the letter should I follow up? Has anyone done cold-calls to these types of businesses (with or without free samples) or is an appointment always best? I know I hate it when salespeople just drop by, but then again I don't think I'd make an appointment with one either....sometimes I tell the staff to tell them I went out on a delivery or to lunch. Just trying to get the foot in the door.

Thanks for your help in advance!

7 replies
mommicakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have any answers to help you at this time, but it is a good question to ponder. I too am interested to hear what people have to say about it. Thanks for posting.

CakeForte Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 10:16am
post #3 of 8

I'm planning on doing something like this too...just havent gotten around to doing it.

To stay focused, you should answer the following: Who you are, what your business is, why you are contacting them, when you plan to follow up.

I think that should help you keep your letter to 3 paragraphs or so.

robinscakes Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:08am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the interest so far....anyone have any answers????

robinscakes Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 2:50am
post #5 of 8

bumping again for answers.....

snarkybaker Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 8

If you are a bakery, let your baked goods do the talking. I have an intern that I send around to the hotels, meeting planners etc. with a box of cupcakes, brochures with pictures and business cards. I make up some quick little notes saying that we hope they'll think of us and that we'd love to work with them.

ZAKIA6 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 8

i was thinking of doing some type of letter too - but now maybe i will add some samples - make a little packet/kit to give out.

dsevans Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #8 of 8

I actally do run a wedding planning business, and I know myself ( and other professionals i know) enjoy getting either a simple letter/email or call just to let us know you are there, also if you can afford you should send a sampling( like cupcakes) just so they know your work is tasty and worth recommending to brides.

I am weaning myself out of the event planning business just becasue i am too busy in the cake business and that is what is bringing in more money for me right now, bu i even take samplings to some of the bridal shops and paces in town, they enjoy it because they will have them on display and serve them to brides and bridesmaids, it win win i get advertising and they get treats for their customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%