At What Temperature Will The Icing Start To Slide Off Cake?

Decorating By lutie Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm by IcedTea4Me2

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 4

Has anyone had the icing start to fall off their decorated cake? Back in October, in the air conditioned atrium of our church, the anniversary cake I had made started to drop 2 of its roses. The temperature could not have been over 75 degrees... it was real butter and shortening blend with Meringue Powder in the Buttercream, but I did not think that at 75 degrees, the buttercream would start to soften after only a couple of hours. Any ideas?... never had the problem previous to that date.

Also, what about the temperature outdoors for an outdoor wedding?

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 4

I think there's no one answer to that question because there are so many factors ... recipe, method of mixing, humidity, method of application, skill of cake decorator, direct sunlight or ight in front of a heat vent, was cake frozen when icing was applied, was cake thawed when icing was applied, etc?

My icing, for example, has never melted on me. My prime example is when I set one up outside, in 90+ degree heat, in August, in Indiana humidity (which will actually casue you to walk bent over, it's so heavy) ... and it never melted.

Butter/margarine has a lower melting point that shortening .... but I agree with you that any icing should be able to stand up to a lousy 75 degrees.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, indydebi. I am authoring a new cookbook (other than the ones we all do for our families with either the tacky stapled sides or ring binders). It is hopefully going to be finished this year, but as an old Home Ec teacher, I have to "instruct" on all of my recipes. The melting buttercream icing just blew me away, as in all my years, I had never had anything remotely close to that happen.... ah! life... it holds such surprises and "leveling agents".

Thanks for you input! If you ever have something you would like to add, I would gladly give you the acknowledgment.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 4

I have a recipe for chocolate buttercream which tastes wonderful, but melts very, very quickly. It has butter and chocolate liquer in it. I am afraid I'm going to have to find another favorite in the South Carolina heat!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%