What Is Your Suggestion?

Decorating By Sweet_Cakes Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm by gales

Sweet_Cakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 7

I want to do this really spetacular cake for my hubby for his birthday. I've never worked with fondant or gumpaste or anything like that. I do want to incorporate those things into this cake though. I was really wanting to do a firefighter theme cake...maybe two layers or something. I appreciate the feedback.

6 replies
DsLady614 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:16am
post #2 of 7

My suggestion? Either get in some practice with the things you've never worked with before, or consider doing something that you are comfortable with. I wouldn't just jump right in with fondant if you've never worked with it before. Bake a practice cake, or get a cake dummy, and try it out first.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:33am
post #3 of 7

Is fondant and gumpaste hard to get a handle of? I mean, I heard that the easiest cake to cover is a round cake. I would like to make fondant/gumpaste figures. Where can I find some tutorials on how to do this?

stsapph Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #4 of 7

Maybe make his shield out of fondant? My BIL was recently promoted to assistant fire chief, so I made a cake with a chocolate transfer of his company's shield. Here is link to the pic on my DH's facebook page. Maybe you can do something like that but out of fondant? Aine2 also has some great tutorials for fondant figures if you want to do those to. I also find that books about molding clay help a lot too. HTH

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/photo.php?pid=1902817&id=637923687

Amber

indydebi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #5 of 7

dont' be afraid of it. I did my first fondant cake about a month or so ago .... I volunteered to help a fellow bakery out when their cake person quit 6 days before the wedding. I said sure, I can help you out. THen he said it was fondant ..... and a square cake. icon_surprised.gif

Now this wasn't a fire engine or anything, but it was way easier than I thought it would be, and I hated admiting how much fun it was. icon_rolleyes.gif I only had to peel it off and start over a couple of times! icon_biggrin.gif

but especially if it's for hubby (I mean, that's so different than for a paying customer, right?), then it's a great time for you to practice and play with it! thumbs_up.gif

gales Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 7

Debbie Brown has a super fire engine and fireman cake and she describes how to do her cakes very well. It is in her book called Naughty Cakes, but dont let the title put you off, it is not particularly naughty, but the fondant firemen are bare chested and hunky, and one has a rather strategically placed fire hose. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I believe she has a website and you may be able to view the cake in question, its called Hunky Firemen. If you dont fancy takling the fire engine cake you could maybe do just one or two of the figures on a cake with maybe a ladder and hosepipe.

Good Luck

gales Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 7

Debbie Brown has a super fire engine and fireman cake and she describes how to do her cakes very well. It is in her book called Naughty Cakes, but dont let the title put you off, it is not particularly naughty, but the fondant firemen are bare chested and hunky, and one has a rather strategically placed fire hose. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I believe she has a website and you may be able to view the cake in question, its called Hunky Firemen. If you dont fancy takling the fire engine cake you could maybe do just one or two of the figures on a cake with maybe a ladder and hosepipe.

Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%