Urgent Help Please, Fbct

Decorating By queenarmadillo Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 3:53am by queenarmadillo

queenarmadillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenarmadillo Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 12

In a fit of ambition, I volunteered to make my little sister's 21st birthday cake. All was going well, FBCT tinkerbell sat ready to go on cake, top of cake iced. All was going well until the doorbell rang. 30 mins later I return to the cake, set Tinkerbell on top, and she is no longer frozen! The paper wont come off the transfer, and the buttercream adhered to the cake too well to remove the whole thing cleanly. That was mistake number 1. Mistake number 2 was to decide that maybe if I ran a warm knife over the top of the paper it would help the buttercream come un-stuck. It didnt, but I think Tink's outline is now a bit blurry.
I have now stuck the entire thing in the freezer (cake, tink, and paper) but was hoping someone who has had experience with the transfers could tell me whether the paper will come off once she is frozen again, or whether I need to start setting up an entire new transfer!

11 replies
2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 12

After it is frozen again, the paper should peel right off. However, you may have some smudging/blurriness after running the warm knife over the paper.

Good Luck!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 12

Yes! FBCT's have to be placed right away, do not wait.
it should come off after it is refrozen, try removing the paper from the opposite end to where you started.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

rmbias1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rmbias1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #4 of 12

Now, I can't speak from experience (exactly), but I'm willing to bet that the paper will come right off. I haven't had the whole thing to stick before but I have had parts that wanted to. I used a piece of ice to 're-freeze' those little patches that didn't want to let go. And then I make sure to pull the paper off at a very sharp angle so that it peels off nicely. Don't know that this will help but I do hope everything works out for you. icon_smile.gif
Michele B.

rmbias1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 12

Now, I can't speak from experience (exactly), but I'm willing to bet that the paper will come right off. I haven't had the whole thing to stick before but I have had parts that wanted to. I used a piece of ice to 're-freeze' those little patches that didn't want to let go. And then I make sure to pull the paper off at a very sharp angle so that it peels off nicely. Don't know that this will help but I do hope everything works out for you. icon_smile.gif
Michele B.

rmbias1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 12

Michele B.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 12

Should come off fine after it's been in the freezer. If you have a blurry outline because of the knife attempt try this: Let it come to room temp AFTER you have removed the paper and made any other adjustments. Then take a section paper towel and roll it into a point and gently use it to push your outline back into shape. Roll as many as you need to keep things "clean." It works.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 12

Should come off fine after it's been in the freezer. If you have a blurry outline because of the knife attempt try this: Let it come to room temp AFTER you have removed the paper and made any other adjustments. Then take a section paper towel and roll it into a point and gently use it to push your outline back into shape. Roll as many as you need to keep things "clean." It works.

rmbias1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 12

Michele B.

rmbias1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #10 of 12

Michele B.

rmbias1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 12

Michele B.

queenarmadillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenarmadillo Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:53am
post #12 of 12

Thank you all for your advice and reassurance. It has turned out fine, except for a tiny bit at the bottom which I really melted, so have just repiped that section. I couldn't believe how well it turned out in the end, so I will definitely use the FBCT technique again (but next time will not get distracted at a crucial point).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%