How Can I Get This Embossed Snowflake Look?

Business By kjt Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm by KoryAK

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 12

I have pm'd the creator of this beautiful cake, but so far no response. Can any of you give me suggestions as how to achieve the embossed flakes? A stamp or a "branding" tool of some sort icon_confused.gif I think if I try to etch them in with a toothpick or straight pin it will "drag" the buttercream...
Thanks, and happy new year to you all!

oops... icon_redface.gif no attachment-I'll try again.
LL

11 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 12

Show us the pic! icon_lol.gif

kjt Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

Show us the pic! icon_lol.gif

I guess I was hoping y'all could just read my mind icon_rolleyes.gif

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 12

I am probably going to do a cake similar to this in a few weeks, and I am planning on making my snowflakes with Royal Icing and dust them with luster dust to give them a shimmery effect. I would guess you could also use white chocolate melts for the same effect, but my white melts aren't white enough to go with my buttercream frosting.

Sandi

Apparently I need to learn to read more carefully, you were asking bout embossing not how to do the snowflakes on the cake. icon_redface.gif

yaadie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yaadie Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 12

I have heard from my wilton isntructor that you can make you own embossing tools. Wilton.com has snowflake templates. You get a piece of mylar and use a glue gun to trace the design on the mylar. As the glue is non toxic it will be safe. when set and ready to use, dust with cornstarch and press into crusted buttercream or fondant and you get the 'look' you are trying to achieve. it does take a steady hand to make sure your lines are smooth.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 12

I just noticed today that there are some First Impressions snowflake molds at Global Sugar Art. You could mold them out of gumpaste also and dust with luster dust. Just another option.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 12

I'm pretty sure this cake was done with a PM Snowflake cutter - I think I saw them on the Global Sugar Art site.

kjt Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:46pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaadie

I have heard from my wilton isntructor that you can make you own embossing tools. Wilton.com has snowflake templates. You get a piece of mylar and use a glue gun to trace the design on the mylar. As the glue is non toxic it will be safe. when set and ready to use, dust with cornstarch and press into crusted buttercream or fondant and you get the 'look' you are trying to achieve. it does take a steady hand to make sure your lines are smooth.

This might work...I might try using RI instead of hot glue, tho, as I really hope to get that sharp delicate look. I may try to make some sort of tool using medium gauge floral wire or something like that.
Thank you all for the input. Good luck with yours flowermom; I'm going to use RI for the flakes that stand away from the cake, too, and dust mine with Fairy Dust - VERY sparkley thumbs_up.gif

Kathy

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 12

Cookie cutters, gumpaste/fondant cutters, and cookie stamps (or just regular craft stamps) will work. I've also found some neat stained glass plastic craft pieces that work well for this type of thing. The detailing is nice and raised so it leaves a good impression.

Someone mentioned the glue gun on mylar... Wilton used to also advocate piping gel on wax paper... it has to dry for a few days, but it's completely safe and re-usable. (works great for "grout" for brick-work) It can also be piped into thinner lines for a more dainty pattern than a glue gun. It can also be wrapped around a round cake, rather than trying to work with wooden blocks or not bendable items.

Good luck!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 12

I did a similar cake and used a toothpick to draw the snowflakes into the icing, and royal icing to make the 3-D ones. There's no need to use a stamp, that won't make a thin line like the ones on the picture. You could use a cutter, but in the photo they're just drawn on by hand.

kjt Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

Cookie cutters, gumpaste/fondant cutters, and cookie stamps (or just regular craft stamps) will work. I've also found some neat stained glass plastic craft pieces that work well for this type of thing. The detailing is nice and raised so it leaves a good impression.

Good luck!

Out the door-on my way to HL icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for the ideas, and welcome to CC!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 12

Yep, I did that cake before and they are definitely just drawn in with a toothpick. I use SMBC and I think thats what the original creator did too cause it doesn't pull. Can you maybe do yours right away before it crusts? And warm up a wire or knife tip or something so it melts instead of drags? (Assuming you are using ABC)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%