Do You Use "dragees"?

Baking By carleen2140 Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 4:21am by shiney

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 59

I love the way cookies look with "dragees" placed on them. The problem I have is locating them in Illinois. None of the bakeries here use them and there never on the shelves at the grocers. I see there a law against using these in California, and some companies won't ship them there. I want to order them over the internet, but I don't know what size to use for cookies. 4,5,6 0r 8MM . Thanks for any help.
Carleen

58 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 59

I know I've seen them on cake decorating sites, do a google search maybe. I used silver until someone here on CC pointed out they are not really edible. I looked at what I had and they said safe but not recommended for eating, so I just threw out the silver ones, and I use white and pink now, what I have is completely safe to eat.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 59

What size to use depends on the size of your cookie and the look you're going for. I use a lot of 3-4&6. Bought some little pink ones for Easter cookies.

There was a major lawsuit filed by some guy against stores that carried dragees in California. He started suing any store outside of CA that shipped them there. I think Martha Stewart was on his list at one time because she uses them, too. Because of all that nonsense, retailers will not ship to CA. Such a waste of time.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/12/23/MNGS03SUEM1.DTL

You can find all sorts of colors and sizes here:
http://fancyflours.com/site/dragees.html

Shiney, what's the deal with the silver ones?

shiney Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 59

Honey, here's a link, I think that's what I read after someone on CC told me the silver ones were not for consumption, after I made a comment about not putting BBs on cookies. So, when I saw the bottle of silver I was using had something like the link said, I stopped using them, and just use my pink and white.
http://www.thebakerskitchen.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=70&gclid=CIHrnsbR_ZcCFRNOagod7nd_Cw

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #5 of 59

This link has a huge assortment of beautiful sugar pearls, no silver or gold, but shimmery colors as well as other colors. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

cakecookie6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookie6 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 59

This link has a huge assortment of beautiful sugar pearls, no silver or gold, but shimmery colors as well as other colors. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:45pm
post #7 of 59

If you're looking for something local, I can find them at any of our Amish stores around here. When they didn't have silver, which is what I specifically loked for, I ordered from Fancy Flours and Kitchen Krafts.

yeastconfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yeastconfection Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 59

Where in Illinois do you live? There is a shop in Rockford, Il that sells them.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 59

I buy them at the local Co-op supermarket. What's the deal with them? Do they kill you?

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 59

They're not actually food.

Remember that kid in your kid's daycare who always, but always, ate the paste they were supposed to use to stick macaroni on something for crafts? Little Jennifer the paste-eater grew up to eat dragees.

shiney Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 59

I have heard somewhere, if it's real gold it's fine, but fake gold or silver isn't. Anyone else hear that?

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I have heard somewhere, if it's real gold it's fine, but fake gold or silver isn't. Anyone else hear that?

Gold is at around $850 US per ounce right now, which works out to $13,600 per pound.

Pfeil & Holing is selling gold dragees for $36 for 2 pounds.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #13 of 59

Oh good grief! That's such a load of codswallop - we've been using them in Europe for generations and they haven't killed anyone yet! Then again we don't sue people for nonsense (or much at all actually!), either!

shiney Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 59

Bonjovibabe, I got some beautiful pink shiney ones in Morrisons in UK and there's no disclaimer on them. So I use them a lot. Hope I don't run out before my next trip there!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 59

Yes, I grew up in the UK and 'silver balls' were something of a delicacy among my group of kids. Must be a European thing.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 11:30pm
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Remember that kid in your kid's daycare who always, but always, ate the paste they were supposed to use to stick macaroni on something for crafts? Little Jennifer the paste-eater grew up to eat dragees.

Too funny!!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 59

i have to hide the my silver balls from my bf - he eats them all if he gets a chance! mmm so tasty when they go soft on icing!
xx

shiney Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:11pm
post #18 of 59

Wow, now with everyone saying they use them, I'm sorry I threw them out. It was after I made some smart a$$ comment on here about someone eating one of my cookies and asked if they were edible, I said, yeah, like I would put BBs on your cookie. And I got a response back that they were, in fact, not edible. Then looked at that website I put up in this thread, and I threw them out. I really loved to decorate with them!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #19 of 59

my first homemade birthday cake (and actually the only one I remember) was a pink frosted (store bought, yum lol) in a lasagna pan and then my mom took her hand and outlined it in pink frosting and filled the entire inside of the outline with silver dragees making..........yes you guessed it, a Michael Jackson glove (hey, I didn't know what he was all about back then lol) and she must have used 2 whole bottles of those things, I mean it was just PILED up on there and I ate EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!!! My brother's weren't allowed ANY portion of the "glove"..I ate them over the course of a couple days and nothing EVER happened to me......well nothing the doctors can put their finger on anyhow lol. I use them and my customers love them, they add so much to a cake.....besides, you're lucky if any one customer gets more than 2 of the things on their slice of cake anyhow!

HipnotiqGlamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HipnotiqGlamour Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #20 of 59

My question is can you take regular white dragees and paint them silver with luster or will they dissolve?

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:38pm
post #21 of 59

My cousin told me that they can't get them in Cal., so I'm taking some to her when I go visit her in Los Angeles this summer. Such a shame that a some people (lawsuits) ruin it for others.

shiney Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 7:40pm
post #22 of 59

Very good question, Hipnot! I may have to try that....which begets the questions, if luster dust is edible, why not silver dragees

carleen2140 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carleen2140 Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:30pm
post #23 of 59

That settles it! I'm going to order all the colors I want over the net. But before I do I need to know what size for a 5 inch cookie. Thanks for all the replies.
Carleen

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 3:49pm
post #24 of 59

When I was kid I used to pour my mouth full of them. I loved the way they felt rolling around. All the silver would come off and then I would crunch them. i don't have any problems and I haven't started glowing. I think you would have to eat 40 bazillion to have any effect!

Jibbies

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 4:40pm
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by carleen2140

That settles it! I'm going to order all the colors I want over the net. But before I do I need to know what size for a 5 inch cookie. Thanks for all the replies.
Carleen

4mm are a good all-purpose size. Hope that helps!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 24 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #26 of 59

Yes you can paint them. I needed gold & only had pearls & silver.
I have no problem getting them here in CA. icon_biggrin.gif They don't sell them in grocery stores still, but both my cakes shops have quite a selection!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:24pm
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

lmao! The girl who ate the paste in my gr one class was a Jennifer lol Im a Jennifer too but it was not me..honest icon_rolleyes.gif

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:28pm
post #28 of 59

Have to say I was completely shocked when I was placing an online order and first read that they were "not for human consumption." Thought they had to be kidding- I've eaten probably a million of these in my lifetime and never had a single issue! In fact, my sisters and I used to fight over who got the cookies with them on it! thumbs_up.gif

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 6:47pm
post #29 of 59

I understand that they are considered FOOD SAFE in the UK. However, the US FDA does not consider them food safe and has not approved as FOOD. Thus, the little "decorations only" clause on the jar.

As far as painting them, remember that your gold and silver dust is also, not food safe. (Sugarpaste.com has some that are, but are not that high gloss metallic look)

I too love them and enjoyed eating them as a kid. I would not include them on anything I made for someone one else. I would be worried about the liability. (It is the US peoeple will sue over anything.)

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBHazel

I too love them and enjoyed eating them as a kid. I would not include them on anything I made for someone one else. I would be worried about the liability. (It is the US peoeple will sue over anything.)

Ain't that the sad truth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%