Help Please !!!

Decorating By bumbledee Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 10:23am by gscout73

bumbledee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bumbledee Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:54am
post #1 of 18

I don´t know how to deal with this situation, December 20th I delivered a cake 1hr and 45 minutes late due to a car accident. My car got hit, I had minor bruising, my car had quite some damage, the cake got minor bumps, as I was waiting for the cops I called my client explained the situation and told them I would be there as soon as possible with a perfect cake. ( I was delivering the cake 3 hours before the event, I got there still with 1 hour to spare before the event started) The groom said to get there as soon as possible. When I got there with still time before the event ( the tables were not even set yet) they checked the cake ( which I had somebody pick up and re decorate, and make sure it looked perfect!!) they said (the groom and bride) that it was ok. Today he called and said that I didn´t comply with the scheduled delivery time and that he wants a full refund. I said that we had to talk about it since they accepted the cake, and if there was anything else wrong with it I would. But he keeps on calling and already I´ve had five contracts cancelled from people referred from him. I told him that tomorrow morning I will give him his refund. But I don´t know how to handle this situation. Please Help.

Diana

17 replies
lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #2 of 18

Some people have alot of nerve. Why did he wait so long to contact you? Maybe the honeymoon was more expensive than he wanted it to be and is just looking for a way to get some money back. Do you have anything in your contract about delivery time? Maybe he thinks that you weren't telling the truth. I don't think I would refund the money, but maybe offer a discount. Hopefully someone else has had this happen to them and can provide better advise. Good Luck!!

bumbledee Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:27am
post #3 of 18

Thanks a lot Lisa, right now am concerned about the cancelled orders, I´ve already said I would give them the refund. On the contract all I have is that the scheduled time for delivery and a 1 hr buffer, but it doesn´t say anything about refunds.

And really if he just want´s the money it´s fine but am really worried about my business, since this client is a very well known person in the city.

Thank you very much !! =)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:28am
post #4 of 18

I wouldn't refund the money!...If the cake was delivered and in perfect condition he can't ask for the money back. Specially if you called and told him the situation.. I swear I would call the clients and say what happened...Thats an insult to me and my work..

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:28am
post #5 of 18

That's just wrong! If the cake was there before the reception started, you should be fine. Only Ogres would demand a refund from you with a car accident and police report to show! I know that I wouldn't have the nerve to even think of asking for a refund.. but it takes all kinds!

So sorry!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:17am
post #6 of 18

I'm with Edna - I'd contact the clients who cancelled and explain what happened, including a police report if you feel you need to prove a point.

You went above and beyond to get the cake there from the site of an accident and had no choice but to entrust an outside person to fix the cake and make sure it arrived before the reception began.

What else were to do? Tell the other drivers that you were sorry you couldn't wait for help becase you had to deliver a cake?

Your hands were tied. I don't think a refund is at all fair.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:48am
post #7 of 18

Did you charge a delivery fee? If so, I would kindly offer to refund the delivery fee even though you could not help the circumstances. If the cake was fine and it was served and eaten, I would not refund the entire cake. There is no reason for an entire refund. This guy is being a real jerk!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:42am
post #8 of 18

refunding him the money now, is not gonna change him bad mouthing you to his 'friends'
all thats gonna do is make sure he lets everyone know that he got you to cave and give him a full refund.

when the people that were referred by him cancelled, did you ask them why??

when you delivered the cake did you have someone sign a receipt that they received it and were happy with it??

Im sorry you got into an accident and have to deal with this jerk to boot.
some people really are just a waste of space and air

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:04pm
post #9 of 18

I don't think that guy has legal or moral ground to ask for his $ back and I am concerned that you already agreed to it. He went over budget on his honeymoon and now that hes back, needs to find money any way he can. I wonder how many wedding gifts were returned????? My suggestion is tell him you've consulted business experts (not me personally, but members of this site) and reconsidered since:
A-At time of delivery it was acceptable and ACCEPTED with no complaints.
B-He waited to long to complain-if there was a problem he should have mentioned it when you called to tell him of the accident.

As for the canceled orders, yes, call them back, briefly explain and do offer copies of the accident report (or at least the case number). Unfortunately, one sour apple can ruin the bushel.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:13pm
post #10 of 18

Do you have anything in your contract about "acts of God"? You did the best you could under the circumstances. Have you talked with your attorney? Are there any pictures of the cake after it arrived at the venue? If it wasn't up to your standards, I might offer a discount - but a full refund?!?! I would definitely contact the other clients and let them know what happened. If, and when you contact the other clients, DO NOT slam the guy! I know it's going to be hard not to, but you've got to be the adult here. Good luck and let us know what happens!

LadyMike icon_sad.gif

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 18

Are you sure there wasn't more to his complaint? He knows you had an accident and the cake got there in time. I can't believe others would cancel on you for that. Are people really that cold? I don't believe so. Did the other people give you a reason for their cancellation? Perhaps he told them a lie or didn't tell them you were in an accident.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 18

This is one of those person that think he found a good reason to get his money back. Want to make me go and run to a lawyer and sue him for difamation!..Im sorry I am a very calm person, but this would piss me off.
When someone starts messing with the business I work so hard on, I am ready to fight!

Call the people that cancel, show the the police info, the photo of the cake delivered( if you dont do this, maybe you should start).. Tell them the whole story and that you had called him and he said he was ok. And that you were plenty of time ahead. How the tables were not eve ready when you got there.
This is wrong, dont give the money back, you will give in into a liers scam.
Edna

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:25pm
post #13 of 18

I agree. I wouldn't refund the money. Even if you were late but still made way before the tables were set up, then you are fine. A reception, first of all, couldn't even start with tables being set-up. The cake is not even the first thing that is eaten. Just crazy. I don't like dealing with people like these but if they agreed to it was ok for the cake to be fixed (which had only minor damages) and delivered before the reception started, then I don't see what the problem is. If anything, I would offer him a discount for future orders. I would also definitely call the customers that cancelled the orders and let them know what happened. They might change their mind after they hear your side of the story. Good luck!

Ana

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:43pm
post #14 of 18

Do you have written contracts with any of these other "clients"?

If you've taken deposits from them and held their date - thus turning away other orders - you shouldn't refund their money either.

It's terrible that someone has that much influence over other people that they would cancel their orders - sounds like a bunch of Snobs to me!

I like the other earlier suggestions - NO REFUND except maybe a delivery fee if it was charged - They ate it, they bought it!

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 18

I've noticed you're in Mexico, I live on the border with Juarez and I've realized that things are a lot different there than here.

That being said, I definitely wouldn't refund the money. Like someone else said, the delivery fee, yes, but not the full amount of the cake. He didn't say he was displeased when it was dropped off, so he accepted it and he and his party ate it.

I've a few customers in the past complain that the cake wasn't "what I expected" even though it matched the pictures/descriptions to a tee. One customer even elbowed her DH because he WOWED too much and she wanted to pretend she hated it (hilarious). I tell them, either you accept it and pay for it or you don't, but you also don't get the cake. Some people are just too corrupt for words and this guy seems to have let his popular status around town go to his head. If he's such a success he shouldn't be cheap and pay for the hard work you've done.

Call your LAWYER!!!

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #16 of 18

I think this guy has bit off more than he can chew and now that he is looking at bills and such he realizes just how much he spent.

The thing that blows me away is that you had someone come and pick up the cake and "fix" it for you so that it would be perfect. Then arriving ahead of the reception time....it is amazing. You should have been thanked and they should have been glad you weren't hurt in the accident. Sometimes I think that is what is most wrong with society, everyone seems to look for the easiest way to rip someone off (well not everyone but you know what I mean).

I wouldn't refund it and if you do call the other clients back definitely explain the situation...including the fact that you "fixed" the cake, and got it there ahead of time of the reception. All the best hun, and I for one am glad you were not hurt.

bumbledee Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:49pm
post #17 of 18

Hi ! and thank you very much for your support and input on this. I sent him an email with a service and product survey. Also I tried calling the bride, and I´ve called all the cancelled orders and so far I´ve just been able to speak with one of them and I explained the situation. The Bride said she was going to think about it. I´ve already given them the refund and am still recieving cancellations. I´ve called previous clients and am doing a survey on service and product satisfaction and so far only good coments.

I think it is a really unfortunate situation and somehow we all have to deal with this type of customers. I´ve learned a great deal and will definetly take all your comments and put them into action. I hope this helps you also.

Thank you again, very much!!!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 10:23am
post #18 of 18

Good luck. I too, am glad you were not hurt. It is so unfortunate that you've had to spend so much time and energy on this. Just know you have the support of CC members. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%