Freezing Cakes

Decorating By SimplySensational Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 2:08am by kakeladi

SimplySensational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplySensational Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #1 of 11

Can anyone (I'm sure you can) give me advice on freezing cakes. I have baked 6 cakes tonight (monday) for a cake I need to construct on Wed night. I want to make sure that they are fresh. Any input on ho to store them for two days? Thanks!!!

10 replies
bumbledee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bumbledee Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:05am
post #2 of 11

Hi, what I usually do, is to wait until the cakes are completely cooled down, then I wrap them in plastic wrap completely. Then I put them in a plastic container with a lid. And stick them in the freezer.

The night before I need them I let them unfreeze in the fridge still in the container. Hope this helps!!!

D.

SimplySensational Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #3 of 11

Thanks bumble that is a great idea.

bumbledee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bumbledee Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:15am
post #4 of 11

You welcome, let me know how great it turns out!!!

SimplySensational Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:19am
post #5 of 11

I'll post a picture. It is my first "theme" cake. It is for a poker birthday party. Also my first real stacked cake. Should be an adventure but I am so excited. Should the cakes be totally thawed before I start doing anything or is it okay if they are still a little frozen?

SimplySensational Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:26am
post #6 of 11

I'll post a picture. It is my first "theme" cake. It is for a poker birthday party. Also my first real stacked cake. Should be an adventure but I am so excited. Should the cakes be totally thawed before I start doing anything or is it okay if they are still a little frozen?

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #7 of 11

It is ok to carve when it still frozen but DO NOT put the fondant (if you are using fondant) when it is even cold, let it get to room temp. and then decorate it, I did it before and believe me it was and ugly, bumpy and nasty looking fondant covered cake. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I hope this can help you a little icon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

SimplySensational Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the tip! Good thing you said something or I probably would have started tonight shortly after taking them out!!!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 11

You're welcome!! and oops!! I forgot Welcome to the best web-site ever thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , anything you need yous ask . Ok? I am sure every body will happy to help you including me thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Blessings for you and your family icon_smile.gif
LL

amyfj1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfj1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #10 of 11

I leave my cakes in the pan for 10 minutes then wrap while warm in 2 layers of plastic wrap then 2 layers of aluminum foil. I place them immediately into the freezer. When I need them, I lay them out the morning I will decorate them. Leave them wrapped until needed about 1 -2 hours, unwrap, and then decorate. I think by wrapping the cakes while warm and placing them in the freezer, lets the condensation get trapped in the cake and makes it so moist. I have left cakes in the freezer for 3 months, had my husband try it, and he thought I had made it that day. Good luck.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #11 of 11

I agree w/amyfj - don't have to wait until the are cold. When you do you lose some of the natural moisture from the cakes. Wrap them when you turn them out of the pan.....about 10-15 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%