How To Knead Deep, Vibrant Primarys Into Wilton Fondant?

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm by cupcakeco

cupcakeco Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 5

I know, I know, Wilton's stuff tastes horrible--but for what I'm doing I need the stiff, dry consistancy. So, if anyone has any advice, I need to know: What's the best method for achieving true vibrant blues and reds and maybe, maaaybe, blacks in Wilton fondant? Any color combos I should know about or should I be prepared to knead in color for hours?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
rachel-b Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:28am
post #2 of 5

Buy it already colored! icon_biggrin.gif
Hope an expert out there has a "secret". I would like to know as well!

tcakes65 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:28am
post #3 of 5

When it comes to red, I prefer to purchase my fondant precolored because it takes so much color to achieve a vibrant red. I tried coloring (use Americolor) a small amount of fondant at a time, and it still took a lot of color. I found even the Wilton fondant would get very wet, sticky, and hard to work with after using so much color. Also no matter how much red I used, I still saw a pinkish hue. But that's just me. Others may have much better success with it.

tonedna Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:42am
post #4 of 5

I use chefmaster..It does needs a lot of color, but you can reach a deep black. It will get softer, so you can add some cornstarch or some tylose if you need for it to be in a drier consistency.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cupcakeco Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 5

Okay everybody!

Here are the results! And yes, this is all Wilton white boxed fondant, colored with Wilton gel colors. I guess it's a testament to Wilton gel colors, if nothing else!

Yes! all three of these balls started out as ultra white Wilton fondant! icon_biggrin.gif I'm pretty happy, but I've already warned some of my family that it May not be such a good idea to EAT it icon_wink.gif
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%