Writing On A Cake

Decorating By k33bl3r Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 3:46am by Tita9499

k33bl3r Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:33am
post #1 of 13

Is there a way to write on a cake without "dragging" some of the lines? I tend to have to go back over a few of the lines to re-make them because the tip has kinda dragged the line up on top of the next line. I wish I had a picture to show you... but I don't.

Is there a certain angle to hold the bag, or do I need to squeeze harder? I'm messing up cakes at work (I work in a bakery at my grocery store, and we write messages on cakes for people who want them), and I feel so bad when I have to hand them back the cake with writing on it that looks like a retarded 5 year old did it.

12 replies
Frankyola Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 13

I use butter cream with pipping gel and never had a problem thumbs_up.gif

Tita9499 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 13

I agree with Frankyola, whenever I do a cake with writing, I mix in a little piping gel with my buttercream and it makes the icing smoother.

Frankyola Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 13

Oops!! I forgot, icon_redface.gif just add 1/2 teaspoon of piping gel to 1 cup of buttercream and mix it really good. thumbs_up.gif

msulli10 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 13

Hold the bag above the cake. Let the tip touch the cake when you start to write and when you end. You hold the bag so the icing flows on the cake and NOT the tip. If you screw up, just let it crust a little and lift it off. Good luck.

Frankyola Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 13

Really good advice msulli10 thumbs_up.gif

k33bl3r Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 13

So, I can't add the piping gel, because the icing I'm using is not mine, it belongs to the store, (sucks), but all I have to do is just pretty much squeeze and let the icing "fall" onto the cake? I've been writing like I would with a regular pen, to where the tip is almost touching the cake, but not really.

Tita9499 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:02pm
post #8 of 13

But why can't you add the piping gel? I mean the other suggestion works too, but is there a policy or something? If they have it in the bakery I don't see why you can't use it...

k33bl3r Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 13

That's just it, we don't have it in the bakery. And I can't exactly take it off the shelves, and use it.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, eventually.

Tita9499 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:52pm
post #10 of 13

Oh, ok, makes sense.

msulli10 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:37am
post #11 of 13

Yes, you pretty much squeeze so the icing falls on the cake. If you have the right consistency it should work fine. It may take a little practice.

k33bl3r Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:04am
post #12 of 13

So.... I had to write on a cake today, and I didn't have to go back over any of the lines!!! Woot! I'm getting better. Now, if only I could make the writing prettier. lmao. It's sad that the lone guy in our bakery has prettier hand writing than the rest of us!

Tita9499 Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 3:46am
post #13 of 13

Ask your bakery manager if you can take a small amount of icing (not enough to ice a cake or he'll think you're stealing) so you can practice. When you get home print out a sheet of pretty writing from the computer and put a piece of wax/parchment paper over it and write away. Scrape off when you're done and that helps with improving your handwriting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%