Flavoring Mmf

Decorating By maryj Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm by IcedTea4Me2

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 23

I'm on my first try of MMf. I did not add any flavorings. I tasted a bit of it after it sat for a couple of hours, and yuck is it sweet. Here's my question...has anyone ever tried to knead in extract to already made MMF. The consistency seems really good but the flavor is not what I want to even try on a tester cake. So has anyone ever tried this. And also what flavorings do you put into MMF besides the obvious vanilla? Thaks in advance.

22 replies
theathea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theathea Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:01am
post #2 of 23

I love almond extract in MMF (or any icing for that matter). I've put it in as I was mixing it, but never after its been kneaded. Not sure if it will work.
Best of luck!!!

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:19am
post #3 of 23

I use an MMF recipe on here and it calls for Lemon extract, Lemon juice, a lil light corn syrup and I always use clear vanilla and almond extracts. I will let you know which recipe I use and it taste great. Works just fine. Will post once I find it. Also, if you go to the MMF recipes you will see tons of MMF recipes and most of them call for extracts. I will post which one I use in a few mins.

HTH
Chippi

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #4 of 23

If you use an oil based flavoring, like Lorann's or Wilton's candy flavorings, you can knead it into finished fondant. I haven't tried an alcohol based one on finished fondant, but I imagine it would work if you used a tiny amount at a time and also added enough powdered sugar to keep the consistency correct. In the future, you can use any type of flavoring while you are mixing the fondant.

Chippi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:22am
post #5 of 23

Rhonda's Ultimate Marshmallow Fondant is the one I use. I correct myself I do use Lemon Oil extract in mine also. Good luck!

Chippi

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 23

Over the holidays I used some mint in mine yummy stuff! I have kneaded in orange, even that vanilla butter and nut flavor, that was good! Jus like spring flour said you do have to add more ps to make up for the extra liquid.

melkneec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melkneec Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:26am
post #7 of 23

My favorite extracts to add are almond and strawberry. Just keep in mind the strawberry will make it pink. icon_smile.gif I use it on my pinks, reds and black MMF. I have used all kinds of extracts and they all good but those two are my favs. I have also only mixed them in when making it. HTH

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:34am
post #8 of 23

I've used Chefmaster Toffee Candy Flavoring and it was incredible. Also you can dilute any Koolaid flavoring into the liquids.

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:43am
post #9 of 23

i have only ever put it in before when i was meltng the marshmallows...

but i am sure that you can add it after and then just add ps to deal with the added stickyness...

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:00am
post #10 of 23

I recently made mint flavored mmf. Added regular mint extract in after I made the mmf. Just added little at a time and kneaded well. It was yummy.

maryj Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 23

thank you all for your replies. I'm going to give it a try, and if it doesn't work I'll make another batch with flavoring added first. The kool aid tip is a good one. Now another question that came to mind was...do you flavor your icing that is undr the fondant the same as your fondant?

SpringFlour Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 23

I don't change the flavoring of my buttercream. I usually just make plain old vanilla...it goes with almost any flavor. I guess it depends on how strong you want the flavor to be. I don't think there's a *wrong* way to do it! icon_biggrin.gif The fun part of caking is to just try things and see what you like!

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 23

I agree with SpringFlour: Just try things and see what you like! Everyone has their preferences. I've actually used the coffee extract you can find at Whole Foods. That cake was just a play cake though. I liked it, but no one else tried it so I cannot tell you what others said.

Good luck!

maryj Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 23

Well I kneaded in the flavoring,(almond) and it worked just fine. I coverd the cake in SMBC and rolled out the MMF. It stuck a little to the counter, which I can't believe since everything in my kitchen including me is covered in corn starch right now (inclucing my keyboard on the computer) I folded it in half and unstuck it from the counter, which created a crease in the top of the fondant. No big deal, I'll adjust the massive amount of cornstarch next ime (if there is a next time). So here are my problems.....Air bubbles, creases around the bottom, and I rolled it too thin in one area so I got a small tear, no big deal. How do I stop the air bubbles from happening. How do you get the MMf not to fold in and crease around the bottom. How do you get your fondant to roll out to an even thickness, what is the thickness it should be rolled out to?
That's a lot of questions isn't it. Well I'm thinking, to save on expenses, if I'm gonna try to master this fondant nightmare I'd better get myself some cake dummies. Any help from you experienced fondant "doers" would be much appreciated by me and my pocketbook. Not to mention my poor cleaning lady (that would be.....me...)

maryj Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 8:40pm
post #15 of 23

Here it is, in all of it's (non) splendor. Hope it tastes better than it looks.
LL

Chippi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 23

LOOKS GREAT! Let us know how you like the MMF ok? icon_smile.gif Congrats on a job well done!

Chippi

maryj Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 1:11am
post #17 of 23

Well I took the cake to my father in laws for after dinner dessert. The cake and frosting and filling were delicious...... I'm gonna say I'm not a fan of the MMF although it it significantly better tasting than other fondants I've tasted. Couldn't get over the sensation of chewing gum when eating it. BUT...if someone orders fondant now at least I know I can make a reasonably good looking cake with it. Practice makes perfect. I thank you all for your tips and will be trying all of them in the future. Happy caking.

Chippi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #18 of 23

When u see an air bubble when your rolling it out get a straight pin and poke it once then re-roll over it and wallaaa its gone. I just received a 20" fondant roller for my birthday and haven't used it yet but it has level rings on ea. end so that you can chose your thickness. I can't wait to use it. Before cutting your bottom edges be sure and smooth top and sides all around before cutting. U will usually put a border around the bottoms so any imperfections on the edges aren't to big of a deal unless ur using a very small border. I'm not real experienced have done only a few cakes with fondant. I learned a ton. You did great job for your first one! Keep up the great work and keep sharing your art! HTH

Chippi

Chippi Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 2:56am
post #19 of 23

also Mary, I meant to tell you, when I make my MMF I always add my flavorings as soon as i take the marshmallow out of the microwave. Then add half my powdered sugar and mix it in the bowl until nice ball but still lil sticky then i grease counter with crisco then need the rest of the powdered sugar in. I then use cornstarch under it just small sprinkles and roll out. HTH also.

Good Luck!
Chippi

SpringFlour Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 9:56pm
post #20 of 23

Now that you've tried MMF, you might want to move on to making another kind...

I started with MMF, but also didn't like the texture (for eating). There is a fabulous recipe here for Michele Foster's Fondant. It isn't too difficult to make, and now that you have a little fondant experince, you'll know when the texture is just right. It tastes (and feels) SO much better than MMF and I find it easier to work with. It isn't so "stretchy," so it doesn't tear as easily when you put it on the cake. And like MMF, you can flavor it how ever you want. Here's the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-michele-fosters-delicious-fondant.html

Happy fondanting! icon_biggrin.gif

SpringFlour Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #21 of 23

Now that you've tried MMF, you might want to move on to making another kind...

I started with MMF, but also didn't like the texture (for eating). There is a fabulous recipe here for Michele Foster's Fondant. It isn't too difficult to make, and now that you have a little fondant experince, you'll know when the texture is just right. It tastes (and feels) SO much better than MMF and I find it easier to work with. It isn't so "stretchy," so it doesn't tear as easily when you put it on the cake. And like MMF, you can flavor it how ever you want. Here's the link: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-michele-fosters-delicious-fondant.html

Happy fondanting! icon_biggrin.gif

maryj Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

also Mary, I meant to tell you, when I make my MMF I always add my flavorings as soon as i take the marshmallow out of the microwave. Then add half my powdered sugar and mix it in the bowl until nice ball but still lil sticky then i grease counter with crisco then need the rest of the powdered sugar in. I then use cornstarch under it just small sprinkles and roll out. HTH also.

Good Luck!
Chippi

that's how I did it except for forgetting the flavorings and using an incredibly large amount of cornstarch. I saw the michelle foster recipe after I had made the MMF and will be trying that this weekend. Thanks for all the advice.

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #23 of 23

Looks great to me! Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom for you. I did, however, buy the ingredients today for mmf and am planning to make it this evening. So, if you hear some screaming from down South (South Carolina) that would be me! I'm geared up for a messy, difficult time from the posts I've read on here, but I'm hoping it won't be as bad as I'm anticipating!

Lisa birthday.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%