Referral Gifts

Business By CakeForte Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 4:23am by -Tubbs

CakeForte Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #1 of 6

What kind of referral gifts/ discounts do you offer?

I'm mainly referring to friends only...not client referrals. My friends have been sending some business my way and I would like to thank them for it. They don't necessarily buy from me themselves, since I'm generally out of their budget , but they have been sending qualified leads my way.

I was thinking handwritten thank you card with a coupon for a free 6" cake.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

5 replies
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 6

I give a 5% referral credit. I've done it for years. Alice sends Betty to me. Betty spends $3000. Alice earns 5% or $150 on her own order or next purchase.

But if your friends never buy from you, I'm not sure if they would like a credit on account .... but then again, if they can't afford you (as some of mine can't) then they may LUV earning a free cake or a discount on a cake from you!

At least offering a credit based on what their referral spend would keep it even .... under the idea you have, you would give a 6" cake to the person who sent you a $50 order and one to the person who sent you a $500 order ... a little imbalanced.

pinklesley1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 6

i think it really depends on the type of friends that you are with them..

i have a few people that are in the industry (weding cordinators, invitation people) and we refer people to eachother

so it works out on the most part... but these people also order from me sometimes for them to resell so i kinda make things a little nicer and not charge as much...

but i think that i love your idea of the free cake... i think i may do that...

our anniversary (3 yrs in business) is comming soon... and i may do a coupon for either a 6 inch cake, a dozen cupcakes, or a dozen cookies...
you know for those people who are always referring business to us..

CakeForte Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #4 of 6

I'm referring to personal friends that I spend my free time with...not business friends/associates/clients.

pinklesley1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 6

i think that if it like that you can for sure give them a free cake,,, no matter how imbalanced...

i tend not to do that, becuase my friends get alot of cake from me no matter what..

like my best friend that even helps me with me would kill me if i gave her more cake...

but go for it... if they are friends that refer business to you then... i say give them what you feel in your heart is appropriate...

i am all about pay it foward...

hth...

-Tubbs Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:23am
post #6 of 6

Most of my jobs are still quite small, but I drop off little boxes of homemade fudge or a small box of cupcakes as acknowledgement for referrals.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%