Cake Mix Response

Decorating By abayes Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 3:23am by Hookste

abayes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 12

I think that someone has probly asked this question before, but would like to know how to handle it when a coustmer ask you if you use a mix they heard that I went to using all mixes now, I told them that it was the same recipe that I always use. I have always used cake mixes and have not had any complaints but when they see you at the store buying they freak out like I have done something wrong. I do doctor my mixes they are not at all like the box recpie at all . I would like to know how to respond to the question with being defensive . Thank you for any suggestions

11 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 12

someone on here once said "I use only the finest prepackaged ingredients" I thought that was pretty good.

Whether you use mixes or from scratch, the important point to get across is that you make cakes that customers like.

jillmakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 12

someone on here once said "I use only the finest prepackaged ingredients" I thought that was pretty good.

Whether you use mixes or from scratch, the important point to get across is that you make cakes that customers like.

beth2027 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 12

I would just tell them exactly what you said: I use the same recipe I always have. It's the truth. If they ask further, then be honest with them that it starts as a mix, but you prepare it in your own way to give it a unique flavor and texture. icon_smile.gif

MacsMom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 12

I tell them that it's my own recipe but that I do use cake mix as only a fraction of the ingredients (okay, so the fraction is half!), explaining that I find it gives me more consistent results and creates a more moist crumb. I let them know that I just haven't haven't found a recipe that has turned out with better results and I'd be happy to offer a taste-test if she/he is afraid of a cake mix taste.

abayes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 12

I want to thank you all for the info, I was all hurt because of what they said and di not know if I gave the right response or not

indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:29am
post #7 of 12

If they ask if I bake from scratch, I tell them, "You couldn't afford me if I baked from scratch." I then tell them that I start with a mix and add my own stuff. I also then tell them, in that "psst! let me tell you a secret!" gramma voice how a mix is just premeasured dry ingredients anyway. icon_wink.gif

I never want to leave them with any false impressions of what I do.

you handled it very well. thumbs_up.gif

abayes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:48am
post #8 of 12

Thanks Indydebi
I really thank you for the in put , I know that coustomers get freekie some times

tcakes65 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:57am
post #9 of 12

I agree that you handled it well. If you purchase from Sam's, Walmart, etc., do you have someone that could do the purchasing for you? Maybe a teenage son or daughter, perhaps a friend. That way you don't have to worry about running into clients and having to explain yourself.

On the other hand, I still don't understand why we have to share our recipes with the public. As long as it's quality ingredients that makes a delicious cake, that's all that should matter. I don't think we should have to explain to customers how we make our cakes. You don't walk into a restaurant and have a conversation with the chef about what type of ingredients he or she uses. And more times than not, the restaurants are using prepackaged food. icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:07am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocakes

And more times than not, the restaurants are using prepackaged food. icon_lol.gif

Amen, sista! Because I see them, wearing their well-embroidered chef jacket, standing with me at the will-call window to buy the same stuff I use!

Also (and I've shared this story before), I find it amazing when people come to me with questions on whether I bake from scratch or do I use instant potatoes ... and then I see them leave my place and pull into a fast food place. They are perfectly happy eating THEIR food that is not even cooked on site (according to the guy who taught my food safety class and a NUMBER of employees I know who work at these places!). One major hamburger place has their burgers cooked at a central kitchen and then they are shipped in to each store. basically you're paying for a warmed-up microwaved burger.

MacsMom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:10am
post #11 of 12

I don't know many bakeries that are strictly scratch, anyway! I ordered my wedding cake after tasting about 5 bakeries and as I left we drove around the back ally to make the turn we needed to make and I spotted cake mix boxes! But I didn't care, it was the best in town!

Now I realize that they likely doctored them just like most of us do.

Hookste Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:23am
post #12 of 12

I would just say that you doctor the mixes. It's up to them to figure it out. If they are offended, they can give it a try and make their own cakes. I have learned that many people that buy cakes aren't very good at baking and have trouble making a basic cake. I have a feeling that they can spread the word about your cakes but if someone likes your cakes, they will be back. I used to scared that I would be "caught" but now I don't worry anymore. I hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%