Red Velvet Cake

Baking By thecakemaker Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm by dandelion56602

thecakemaker Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make a Red Velvet cake. I have the Cakemix Doctor at home and it has two recipes for this - one using a white mix and one using a chocolate mix. I looked on CC and there is one recipe using a yellow mix. Has anyone tried any of these? Would you recommend using one or have one of your own? I believe there's actually a Red Velvet mix out there (I could be wrong) If so, have you tried that one?

13 replies
barbaranoel Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 14

I have used a rv mix but I don't think it tastes anything like a real Red Velvet. I traditionally only use cake mixes but this is one time I will make a cake from scratch. Once you taste the two you really won't want to do a mix for this.

I tried this recipe a few months ago and I won't use anything else.

even the icing for this is outstanding.

JanH Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #3 of 14

DH RV cake mix reviews:
(See BlakesCakes post for doctored RV mix recipe using buttermilk, pudding and cocoa.)

cakemanravens recipe is also on CC:

atschnet Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #4 of 14

RV is my all time fav cake but i dont like the "from scratch" one. My recipe starts with devils food cake mix. if you are interested PM me and i'll email it to you!!!

baycheeks1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:22am
post #5 of 14

There is a RV cake mix from scratch on the McCormick webiste...I made it several times for the holidays, really good. Didnt know if you wanted from scratch or cake mix...

My_Edible_Art Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 14

I've tried the cakeman recipe and it's really good!!!
I'd go for this one, no mistakes! ggod luck

Denise Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:39am
post #7 of 14

I am not a red velvet fan but my three of my last 4 groom's cakes have been red velvet and I have received RAVES from all of the bride/mom's.

I used one german chocolate and one french vanilla Betty Crocker mixes with red food coloring. I use buttermilk and butter in the mix and it comes out moist and delicious. Like I said - RV is probably my least favorite cake flavor and people just have fits over it. icon_lol.gif

thecakemaker Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone! I had read a few of the recipes and they seemed to get 1/2 good reviews and 1/2 bad reviews so I wasn't sure which one to go with! I guess it's one of those things you either love or hate. I went to three stores last night looking for RV mix and ended up after buying buttermilk, vinegar, sour cream, german chocolate and white mix - finding the RV mix at Target of all places! This is for a tasting tomorrow evening - i'll let you know what the bride and groom have to say about the mix - I did use buttermilk. . .

cakeymom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 14

I have the same recipe that the CakemanRaven uses and everyone goes apes over it EVERYTIME!!!!!

There are a couple things to note however:
1. Make 1 1/2 times this recipe b/c if you use 9" pans the layers will be
2. His cream cheese frosting recipe will produce a very soft frosting, so
if you have a good recipe I would use that instead, or just cut the
butter and maybe add more powdered sugar.

Good Luck,

prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 14

Here's the link to my recipe posted on this site:

I made my very first wedding cake using this recipe and it was a great success. I get many requests for this cake.

thecakemaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks! I'll try it out next time. I ended up going with the DH Red Velvet mix - the bride and groom loved it as did my co-workers!

hummingbird59 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 14

I am to make a red velvet groom's cake. The rv will be the tower of a computer. Is there a problem with DH is cutting and stacking? This is for a nephew since I only bake for family, but will be a large reception. Needless to say I am nervous.

thecakemaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 14

I always add an extra egg per mix for a firmer cake. I did the same with the DH RV. It was a good firm consistency. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 14

The cake mix dr recipe w/ the german chocolate mix is yummy! It's very moist, & it carves well to boot. That's what I used for my WKU book cake. I just put it in the freezer about 20 min first to cut down on crumbs. It's my one & only b/c RV can be so tempermental. And if the b & g loved the RV mix they'll love the cake mix dr even more b/c to me the RV mix has a little aftertaste.

Glad you found something they liked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%