Red Velvet Cake

Baking By thecakemaker Updated 20 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm by dandelion56602

thecakemaker  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 14

I've been asked to make a Red Velvet cake. I have the Cakemix Doctor at home and it has two recipes for this - one using a white mix and one using a chocolate mix. I looked on CC and there is one recipe using a yellow mix. Has anyone tried any of these? Would you recommend using one or have one of your own? I believe there's actually a Red Velvet mix out there (I could be wrong) If so, have you tried that one?

Thanks!
Debbie

13 replies
 barbaranoel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 14

I have used a rv mix but I don't think it tastes anything like a real Red Velvet. I traditionally only use cake mixes but this is one time I will make a cake from scratch. Once you taste the two you really won't want to do a mix for this.

I tried this recipe a few months ago and I won't use anything else.

http://www.cakemanraven.com/recipe.htm

even the icing for this is outstanding.

Barb

JanH  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #3 of 14

DH RV cake mix reviews:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-160551-.html
(See BlakesCakes post for doctored RV mix recipe using buttermilk, pudding and cocoa.)

cakemanravens recipe is also on CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7054-20-Southern-Red-Velvet-II.html

HTH

atschnet  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:14am
post #4 of 14

RV is my all time fav cake but i dont like the "from scratch" one. My recipe starts with devils food cake mix. if you are interested PM me and i'll email it to you!!!

baycheeks1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:22am
post #5 of 14

There is a RV cake mix from scratch on the McCormick webiste...I made it several times for the holidays, really good. Didnt know if you wanted from scratch or cake mix...

My_Edible_Art  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
My_Edible_Art Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 14

I've tried the cakeman recipe and it's really good!!!
I'd go for this one, no mistakes! ggod luck

Denise  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:39am
post #7 of 14

I am not a red velvet fan but my three of my last 4 groom's cakes have been red velvet and I have received RAVES from all of the bride/mom's.

I used one german chocolate and one french vanilla Betty Crocker mixes with red food coloring. I use buttermilk and butter in the mix and it comes out moist and delicious. Like I said - RV is probably my least favorite cake flavor and people just have fits over it. icon_lol.gif

thecakemaker Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks everyone! I had read a few of the recipes and they seemed to get 1/2 good reviews and 1/2 bad reviews so I wasn't sure which one to go with! I guess it's one of those things you either love or hate. I went to three stores last night looking for RV mix and ended up after buying buttermilk, vinegar, sour cream, german chocolate and white mix - finding the RV mix at Target of all places! This is for a tasting tomorrow evening - i'll let you know what the bride and groom have to say about the mix - I did use buttermilk. . .

Debbie

cakeymom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 14

I have the same recipe that the CakemanRaven uses and everyone goes apes over it EVERYTIME!!!!!

There are a couple things to note however:
1. Make 1 1/2 times this recipe b/c if you use 9" pans the layers will be
short.
2. His cream cheese frosting recipe will produce a very soft frosting, so
if you have a good recipe I would use that instead, or just cut the
butter and maybe add more powdered sugar.

Good Luck,

cakeymom

prterrell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 14

Here's the link to my recipe posted on this site:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3463-7-Promises-Red-Velvet-Cake.html

I made my very first wedding cake using this recipe and it was a great success. I get many requests for this cake.

thecakemaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks! I'll try it out next time. I ended up going with the DH Red Velvet mix - the bride and groom loved it as did my co-workers!

hummingbird59  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 14

I am to make a red velvet groom's cake. The rv will be the tower of a computer. Is there a problem with DH is cutting and stacking? This is for a nephew since I only bake for family, but will be a large reception. Needless to say I am nervous.

thecakemaker Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 14

I always add an extra egg per mix for a firmer cake. I did the same with the DH RV. It was a good firm consistency. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Debbie

dandelion56602  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 14

The cake mix dr recipe w/ the german chocolate mix is yummy! It's very moist, & it carves well to boot. That's what I used for my WKU book cake. I just put it in the freezer about 20 min first to cut down on crumbs. It's my one & only b/c RV can be so tempermental. And if the b & g loved the RV mix they'll love the cake mix dr even more b/c to me the RV mix has a little aftertaste.

Glad you found something they liked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%