Diff Between Pastillage And Modeling Paste?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 11:24pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 5

I want to try new mediums for figures but without wasting too much money...

Would someone mind explaining the difference between pastillage and modeling paste, and which is your preference for modeling 3D figures? Or if there is another option besides gumpaste/fondant that you prefer?

TIA icon_smile.gif

4 replies
bashini Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, Pastillage dries very hard. I mean rock hard. I use egg white, powdered sugar and tylose to make the pastillage. I have used this to make the turrets of a castle that I did last year.

You can mix 50/50 store bought fondant and gumpaste and use it to make your models. But I add 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC/tylose powder to 250g of fondant. You need to let your figures dry. It will dry hard, a bit harder than fondant.

MacsMom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 5

I guess what I would like answered is how are they to work with. I'm looking for something that blends together more smoothly than gumpaste.

I normally use a mix of gumpaste and fondant, but I was curious about modeling paste and pastilage after seeing it online.

Cupcakeluv24 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 5

pastilage fairly easy to work with and dries out very quickly and can/will become very fragile. When it dries you can sand it down to make smooth edges, color it like you would any other medium.

Check out my pictures as I have a model I made last year. This stuff lasts FOREVER!

Hope this helps.

P.s. I also used the recipe that pp used

MacsMom Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! I found both for less then $6 each, maybe I'll just splurge... lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%