Packaging Favors And Wedding Shows

Baking By JillK Updated 9 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm by yankeegal

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

I apologize in advance because my posting/question rate will probably jump dramatically in the coming weeks ... I'm starting the early stages of cookie-business investigation at the instigation of my usually oh-so-cautious DH. icon_biggrin.gif So happy about that!

Here goes:

For those who make cookies as wedding, shower favors, etc ... how do you usually package them? And if you offer an option for personalized tags, how much extra do you charge? Do you print them yourself or go through a vendor?

Also ... I've heard quite a bit about the pros and cons of wedding shows from those who make wedding cakes. But have any of you who do cookies as favors hit the wedding shows? If so, how has it gone?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. icon_razz.gif It's very much appreciated.

3 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 3:20am
post #2 of 4

I package mine in clear cellophane bags, easy and inexpensive. I use satin or chiffon ribbons and charge 50 cents per cookie to package them.

I don't make my own tags, it gets way too complicated IMHO....specific colours/fonts/wording/names on each. I'm a baker, not a printer! icon_lol.gif Couples never bat an eye if I ask them to provide me with their tags already printed up, especially since I do attach them at no charge if provided. They usually like them to match their invites/thank yous anyway, so they just get their existing printer to throw those into the order.

Much easier and less hassle for me! thumbs_up.gif

As for wedding shows, I don't do them anymore. thumbsdown.gif Too $$$ and couples are always wanting too much of a discount or they'll just go to the vendor in the booth next to yours. icon_mad.gif It seems to always be about the price now, not the quality.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 4

Cello bags are the way to go - simple, inexpensive and it looks nice too.

I'm quite crafty, so I can make tags, if asked. I also have an arrangement with my sister, who is very artistic, that she would make fancier tags, if required. She can also do invitations etc.

I had a bride last summer who had no clue what she wanted (her colours were purple and olive green, if that helps you get the picture), she was so nice and easy going that I managed to talk her into purple and lime green (funky, at least, instead of plain ugly). Anyway, she was going to make the tags herself but ran out of time, so I offered. She was thrilled with what I did, but like I say, she really didn't care and was inclined to be delighted. For anyone else, I wouldn't do it without being given samples of colour, font and size, plus exact wording.

I did a show last year and got one order only from it. Not worth it to me right now.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 4

I think bags and ribbon are the way to go as well...I will do the tags for family but to me, the extra work is not worth the $$. I don't want to take away from the artistry of the cookies themselves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%