Make Your Own Wedding Cake?

Decorating By alicegop Updated 8 Jan 2009 , 7:25am by hailinguk

alicegop Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 5

I was helping my photographer friend at a bridal show yesterday and obviously came across many brides. I only make cakes as a hobby for friends so I wasn't advertising or mentioning that I make cake other than to point out that one of the pictures from one of the weddings was a cake I made. One lady was asking questions about cakes that made me think she would want to make her own wedding cake so I asked her if she ever thought of doing that (I made my own) and she said yes. So that got me to thinking, there might be a market out there of people who are thinking of making their own wedding cake, how might I be able to give cake classes to help people do this?

I'm thinking that maybe I could have a "make your own wedding cake club" and have some meetings where we talk logistics and practice some specific techniques for cakes they've seen pictures of...

Does this seem like a dumb idea? I'm trying to sell cake supplies to more local people and I'm hoping this would be a way to connect with new customers. That and I love to help people and it would be fun.

4 replies
CookieMeister Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

On an already busy week, running around like the proverbial chicken, you made your wedding cake?

I'm stupefied. There is no way I could've gotten that in to the schedule. icon_surprised.gif I'm in awe of you.

My guess - most people would want to leave that task to others but who knows. . . I am freaky about time constraints. Maybe it isn't the monumental feat I think it is.

tloveless Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 5

I thinks that you could be on to something. Though I am not sure how. I think that this could be a fun thing to for the bride and her friends to get together and do this and have a girls night. Or you can even take it to the next level if they are not interested in doing their own cake maybe you can help guide them through how to pick out and what types of detail they can look for. Not sure if this is helpful Good luck

Melvira Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 5

alicegop that's an interesting idea! You might even consider offering 'assistant' services on the day of the wedding if they need help setting up or something.

I catered my entire wedding by myself, as well as doing the decorating, etc. The ONLY thing I outsourced were the flowers because a good friend of mine was a florist and insisted on doing it as her gift to me. It's all about time management, and nerves of steel! alicegop obviously has them! thumbs_up.gif

hailinguk Posted 8 Jan 2009 , 7:25am
post #5 of 5

I think this is a great idea!

I have decided that I am going make my own wedding cake, which is why I have started looking into making cakes. I am making my first one this week for a friends Birthday on Saturday.

I'm not getting married until Sep so will hopefully be really good by then!

I live in London, UK and have been looking for classes / courses and have only found 4 - all of which are really expensive or just too basic to even bother with.

I would love to go to someone for a small class/ one on one training so think your idea would definitely would appeal to people like me wanting to make their own cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%