I Have A New Location! This Might Be A Cool Idea For U

Business By alicegop Updated 10 Jan 2009 , 12:45pm by Sweet_Guys

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 14

I am so excited, I was able to move my cake decorating supply business to cargo bay (www.cargo-bay.com). I was able to rent virtual office space so I can use conference rooms, fax machine, meeting areas, they have high speed wireless internet and work stations, free coffee and water for myself and clients... a more professional place to work out of. I then have a storage locker to house all my inventory. The best part though is they have a shipping center in house, so I box up the items and then put a sticky note with the address on it, they will tape it up and mail it off for me so I don't have to weigh it anymore or look up the shipping costs. Their computer will calculate the cheapest way to ship (USPS, UPS or FedEx) and they will put the shipping label on and send it off and then just bill the costs to my account AND I get 10% off their shipping quote so what use to cost me $9.50 ended up costing me only $8.82.

I'm thinking I could use the conference rooms to give cake decorating lessons or finally have the cake club meetings there.

If any of you are looking for a place to meet with clients to discuss cake and contracts, do a tasting that isn't your house, the virtual office space could be a good idea. It is professional, inexpensive and super cool!

I now need to figure out how I am going to handle pick ups. All of my orders are done online (www.selfservebaker.com) and most are out of state, so mostly I will use the shipping center (yea!), but for local customers that pick up from me, I am thinking of having a few days a week that I'll just hang out at the virtual office so they can pick up. But the hours wouldn't be able to be same so I am posting the hours on my website... I'm nervous that customers won't like that, but I run the business as a hobby. I have a calendar that shows when I am there, so I am still pondering how to make that part work.

I'm also trying to figure out how I can get the cake classes going, anyone have any ideas on how to find people who would want to do that?

I'm soooo excited!!!

13 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 14

How cool for you!!! Sounds like you have a good thing. Good luck, and let us know how things keep going!!! icon_biggrin.gif

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 14

Neat idea!

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 14

I know I'm missing something--been a long day already, forgive me!! How do you do a tasting out of a virtual office?? Doesnt that mean "online" office? As in virtual reality, like its not an ACTUAL place, just exists online? Like I said--I know I have to be missing something! icon_smile.gif

alicegop Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 1:42am
post #5 of 14

It isn't virtual as in online virtual, but as in not really my office icon_smile.gif

Basically it is an office that a bunch of people use and you share resources. It is really cool! I can use one of many conference rooms anytime.

It is really nice. My costs are exactly the same each month and I don't have to pay taxes or electric bill and have a professional place to run my business out of. It is really awesome. Check out the website: www.cargo-bay.com I know they don't have very many locations, but I think it will take off!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:00am
post #6 of 14

Awesome! I was just looking for a place to order some stuff from, I will sure check you out when I get ready! Love to throw some business to a fellow CC'er!

tabby235 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabby235 Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 14

Hi there are alot of ways to get students. I have been teaching for a long time. there are great times and bad times . The first thing is to limit you size of classes . I find more than 15 is to much for me. I send letters to churches and lady groups. then always tie your business cards to cupcakes put into a pretty basket take them with you to run erronds passout to everyone you come into contact with. soon you will have word of mouth and you won't have to work so hard. good luck icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

alicegop Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 4:41am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby235

Hi there are alot of ways to get students. I have been teaching for a long time. there are great times and bad times . The first thing is to limit you size of classes . I find more than 15 is to much for me. I send letters to churches and lady groups. then always tie your business cards to cupcakes put into a pretty basket take them with you to run erronds passout to everyone you come into contact with. soon you will have word of mouth and you won't have to work so hard. good luck icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Tabby, that is great advice, THANKS! I was thinking 3 - 6 people tops. I don't want to overwhelm myself. I sell cake supplies so (a) I can have access to cake supplies besides the craft store and (b) so I can meet nice people. I love to meet new people and hang out with cake people. So I think doing some small classes would be fun. I certainly don't make money selling cake supplies, just something to feed my addiction icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:53pm
post #9 of 14

The link isn't working right now. I went to google to search for it and sure enough it came up. I guess they must be maintaining their site this morning.

Paul

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:34pm
post #10 of 14

There's a service like that in my town I've seen advertisements for. What a great idea!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 6:49pm
post #11 of 14

Cool! Too bad they don't have one in my area... icon_sad.gif

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 14

This sounds like such a great idea!

DaCakeDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaCakeDiva Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 14

This is only an idea that may muddled brain popped out. You know how people do video conferences. Can't you do video classes too? I mean it wouldn't be for people who need hands on intructions like me but visual learners could do it. Just a thought. Now I know some cake genius on CC will find a way to do this (if it hasn't been done already). I only request a discount on the first class.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 12:45pm
post #14 of 14

Is anyone else still having trouble getting this website to work? I've tried four different days now.

Paul

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%