Anyone Ever Help Organize A Bridal Show?

Decorating By cheesecakes-galore Updated 7 Jan 2009 , 4:06am by morgnscakes

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 10

Has anyone here ever helped organize a bridal show? I am wanting to start planning for a bridal show in January of next year. There is no bridal show in any of the surrounding counties, or in the counties next to those. I think it would be great for the local businesses, as well as the local brides to have a show close to home. I am just looking for some advise. Also there are 2 places here in town that could easily house a bridal show, one is an ag/expo center, the other a community center. Or you have several other options in either of 3 counties that border mine. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 10

::waves hand::

Yes. You're going to have to ask specific questions, so I understand exactly what you need to know. A complete brain dump on organizing a show would not be pretty.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 10

I just really do not know where or how to even get started. What is the first few things I need to do? Thanks a bunch!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 10

I was the manager of a reception hall and I produced a bridal shows to market the hall.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 10

I would start by doing an internet search of Bridal Shows/Expos just to see all the different things involved. If they list what vendors are going to be at their show that will give you an idea of who and what type of businesses to start contacting - without vendors you can't have a show (that's where all the money comes from) so you need to start there.

There is a group in our area that is putting on their first one this February - I spoke with one of the gals that's helping out and she seemed a little overwhelmed by all that is involved.

Sounds like fun to me ...... good luck!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 10

Just know it costs money to do this...if you don't have money to advertise and pay for the location rental (if you can get a venue to offer their space in exchange them being the only venue being represented you might save in this area, but if you are using a convention center or hotel there will be a rental fee, can be quite expensive at times). You can recoup the costs by charging booth rental fees or start an area wedding vendors networking club and all entities share the costs equally so no booth fees. Most places will require you to have event insurance. There are lots of things to consider, and it is a very large undertaking that takes alot of planning.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Just know it costs money to do this...if you don't have money to advertise and pay for the location rental (if you can get a venue to offer their space in exchange them being the only venue being represented you might save in this area, but if you are using a convention center or hotel there will be a rental fee, can be quite expensive at times). You can recoup the costs by charging booth rental fees or start an area wedding vendors networking club and all entities share the costs equally so no booth fees. Most places will require you to have event insurance. There are lots of things to consider, and it is a very large undertaking that takes alot of planning.

Thanks, and that is why I am wanting to start planning now so I can hopefully pull one off next year. I have definitely thought about the cost, and am hoping that the booth rentals will cover most, if not all, of the fees. I am sure that I will be overwhelmed, I am a little bit now just thinking about doing this. icon_eek.gif But in the end, if I pull it off successfully I am sure I will enjoy it. Thanks for all the great advise, hopefully more will come my way. I am keeping a portfolio of what needs to be done, so feel free to add more info.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:19am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

.... so no booth fees.

I've not put together bridal shows, but I've been very involved in festivals, beauty pageants, home shows, fairs, etc. And the General Rule is "you don't make your money on the gate ... you make it on the spaces". Meaning, you are not going to recoup your costs by charging a bride two bucks to get in.
1. YOu are making your money by renting the space to the vendor.
2. THe more vendors, the more income.
3. The more vendors, the more you can spread out the cost over more vendors, reducing the cost per space.
4. How do you get lots of vendors? Have lots of brides/attendees.
5. The more brides/attendees, the happier the vendors.
6. Happy vendors rent booth space.

One organization I worked with charged a $1 entry fee, but they gave away THOUSANDS of free tickets to get in. (1) the free ticket holders thought they had something special (2) it insured a great crowd, which made the vendors very happy ..... see points 2 and 6 above.

YOu've got a couple folks in this thread who have actually done bridal shows (unlike me, who has done other types of shows). I'd take advantage of their generous offer to tap their brains! thumbs_up.gif

I was involved in one show where the organizer bartered some stuff. Free booth space if I bring hot chocolate for the vendors. Free booth space for the florist if they donated a red rose for each bride that registered. just some ideas.....

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #9 of 10

Here is a link to an Arkansas Bridal Fair being held on Jan. 18.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/bridalfair/

I have never been to one but I'm going to this one to get information for the future. There is a lot of information on the website including vendor information like pricing, set up, even the registration form. Maybe this can provide some helpful information.

*Edited for grammar mistakes

morgnscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgnscakes Posted 7 Jan 2009 , 4:06am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

::waves hand::

Yes. You're going to have to ask specific questions, so I understand exactly what you need to know. A complete brain dump on organizing a show would not be pretty.

I would love for you to shed some insight on this, since you have the experience with this. How about this for starters:

1. what do I need to know or have in writing about liability?
2. is there a way to get a place for free or little money?
3. how should I approach sponsors for the event?
4. how much to charge for vendors?
5. what needs to be in a vendor contract?

That should start it out, then maybe we'll go into more questions concerning types of vendors, licenses, etc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%