Barbie Doll Cake

Decorating By atschnet Updated 5 Jan 2009 , 10:02am by BCJean

atschnet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atschnet Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 13

I've seen where people use large glass bowls to make the cake for the barbie doll cake, instead of the wonder mold.

Does anyone have any tips?????? Or should i just go get the wonder mold?????

12 replies
fba322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fba322 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 13

I have used a Pyrex glass bowl for this. Worked like a charm!

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:17am
post #3 of 13

A bundt pan works just as well as a pyrex bowl. I personally prefer to use the Wilton Wonder Mold. Just makes a nicer dress. I also prefer to use a real Barbie Doll instead of the doll pick.

Take a look at my pictures, I have two doll pictures there. One with a real Barbie, the other with a doll pick.

I think the Wonder Mold is a nice pan to have, it's not just for doll cakes.

Gayle
SE MI

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 13

If you're going to use a bowl, be sure to cook low and slow so the center will get done before the edges get too dry.
If you get the wonder mold, try to use the 40% off coupon for it at Joanne's or Michael's.

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 13

I have heard how people use the real barbie but how do you place the barbie in the cake?

TIA,

Jeannette

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:07am
post #6 of 13

I have heard how people use the real barbie but how do you place the barbie in the cake?

TIA,

Jeannette

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 13

I have found that you have to have another cake under the Wonder Mold in order to get enough height you need for the tall Barbie. At least a 2" layer. I like to use a 10" round. After placing the Wonder Mold on top of the frosted layer, I usually carver out a larger hole to acomodate the Barbie. I wrap the Barbie with plastic wrap from her waist to her feet. I then just push her down into the hole. She will still stick up a bit, showing her butt. I cover this with frosting or cake pieces. Then I go about decorating the skirt. For the bodice I either use fondant or frosting. Just depends on my mood.

HTH

Gayle
SE MI

heychele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heychele Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 2:30am
post #8 of 13

Hi Jeannette,
I bake it in a pampered chef bowl and place that cake on top of 8 inch cakes for the height of the Barbie.
Just wrap an undressed Barbie with saran wrap anywhere it will come in contact with the cake and stick her down in the middle. Build the icing around her middle and bust and decorate.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:19am
post #9 of 13

I love using the wonder mold for the Barbie cake w/9 or 10" rd under it. The wonder mold has a rod in the middle so it bakes nicely. The Barbie fits perfectly to her waist using these two pans. I also wrap w/saran from waist down. Be sure to send the clothes that were on her w/the cake.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 5:53am
post #10 of 13

I bake mine in a glass pyrex bowl and then play an 8" cake under it. I stick a flower nail to the bottom of the bowl with some batter to help cook the center. It doesn't matter if it's a little cooked in there, you will cut the middle out anyways.

I then cut a hole, perfect for her hips. Wrap her in saran wrap and stick her in!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 6:22am
post #11 of 13

Notice how everyone mentions the plastic wrap on the legs?

My first doll cake, I didn't know to do that... The cake tasted like plastic! Image

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 9:46am
post #12 of 13

Somebody post a while ago that you can use stainless steel bowl too, I never tried so I do not know if it works but maybe somebody know about it. thumbs_up.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 5 Jan 2009 , 10:02am
post #13 of 13

You can also just bake 3 8" layers and carve them. You can carve in the folds of the fabric...use the scraps to build up the top to fit around the doll.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%